The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If I remember correctly, in past years the rule book had some changes that were not publicized. They were mostly language changes, not actual rule changes. Has anyone found any this year?
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

I was at the NFHS website and they seemed to only announce one correction in the Officials Manual page 70-71, 342, changes to text. It has to do with the reporting of a disqualified player with 3 person officiating.
They also had some "Case book" situations - just updated ones from the look of them.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't know any from this season. The last couple of seasons have seen unannounced changes in throw-in procedures.

1) After a made or awarded score, the inbounding team retains the privilege of running the endline if the defensive team commits a common foul that does not result in bonus FTs (assuming the foul was committed near the endline).

2) The defending team may not break the OOB plane until the throw-in has been released toward the playing court.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

"near the endline"

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't know any from this season. The last couple of seasons have seen unannounced changes in throw-in procedures.

1) After a made or awarded score, the inbounding team retains the privilege of running the endline if the defensive team commits a common foul that does not result in bonus FTs (assuming the foul was committed near the endline).

2) The defending team may not break the OOB plane until the throw-in has been released toward the playing court.
Chuck: I take "near the endline" to mean the foul occurs in the area in which a foul going to a throw-in would normally go to the baseline, that is, the lane, the key, and the two triangles created by drawing lines connecting the elbows with the near end corners of the court. This is what they mean, right?
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
I take "near the endline" to mean the foul occurs in the area in which a foul going to a throw-in would normally go to the baseline, that is, the lane, the key, and the two triangles created by drawing lines connecting the elbows with the near end corners of the court. This is what they mean, right?
Yes, but I couldn't figure out a way to say that without saying the whole thing. So, "near the endline" was close enough.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question 75 on the IAABO refresher says "near the endline"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
I take "near the endline" to mean the foul occurs in the area in which a foul going to a throw-in would normally go to the baseline, that is, the lane, the key, and the two triangles created by drawing lines connecting the elbows with the near end corners of the court. This is what they mean, right?
Yes, but I couldn't figure out a way to say that without saying the whole thing. So, "near the endline" was close enough.
I don't think it's you. Question 75 on the IAABO refresher says "near the end line". And 7.5.7 SITUATION D says . . . "Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball and steps out of bounds at the end line to prepare for a throw-in. Before the throw-in is completed, A2 is called for an intentional (or flargrant) foul on B3 near theend line."

Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Chuckster,
What year did this change? I have rules books back to the 2001-02 season and the wording of 9-2-11 is exactly the same as it is in 2005-06 book.

If this really was an UNannounced change, I am most interested in when it happened. The NCAA rule is different just FYI. Under NCAA rules the defender may not break the plane until the ball breaks the plane.

Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

What year did this change? I have rules books back to the 2001-02 season and the wording of 9-2-11 is exactly the same as it is in 2005-06 book.
You know what? I said that wrong. I think that the rule change/clarification was that you couldn't touch the ball until it had been released on the throw-in.

We had long arguments about this rule a couple years ago. The rule about breaking the plane was very clear. You couldn't break the plane until the throw-in was released. You're right, that's been the rule forever. But the rule about touching the ball was murkier. It never said that touching the ball was ok after the release. I took this to mean that you could break the plane after the throw-in was released -- say your momentum had you jumping forward -- but that it was still a T to actually touch the ball on the OOB side of the plane.

Other people thought that all the restrictions regarding the OOB plane ended when the throw-in was released.

In any case, in the '02-'03 rulebook, 9-2, PENALTY(3) says it's a T if an opponent reaches through the plane and touches or dislodges the ball. But in the '03-'04 book 9-2, PENALTY(3) says it's a T to reach through the plane and touch or dislodge the ball "while in possession of the thrower or being passed to a teammate outside the boundary line".

This unannounced change put an end to that argument. It is now a T only if the ball is touched before it's released on the throw-in pass.