The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 12:42pm
MPLAHE

Can someone provide some clarification on these questions:

1) After the ball becomes live to start the game the scorer signals the referee to the table. The scorer notifies the referee that No. 24 started instead of designated starter No. 23. Referee assesses team A with a technical foul. Is the official correct?

I answered yes, but the correct answer was no. my assumption is the reason my answer was incorrect is based on the issue being detected after the ball became live. However, I cannot find this in the rulebook. Is this covered anywhere other than 3-2-2 and 10-1-2?

2) A-1 catches the ball while in the air. A-1 lands on one foot, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet. A-1 then lifts one foot off the floor and starts a dribble. Official rules this a legal play. Is the official correct?

I answered no, but the answer was yes. My understanding is that neither foot can be the pivot and he must pass or shoot once he lifts either foot off the floor. Lifting the foot to start a dribble should be an automatic travel, correct?

3) A-2 in the frontcourt bats A-1's throw-in into the backcourt. A-2 retrieves the ball in the backcourt. Official rules this a legal play. Is the official correct?

I answered no but the correct answer was yes. Another typo or am I missing something here?

4) A-1, while dribbling, intentionally pushes B-1. Official rules this a player control foul. Is the official correct?

I found this one confusing. I answered yes, even though I knew it was an intentional foul. However, is it not still considered a player control foul, or is it simply an intentional foul?

Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
my assumption is the reason my answer was incorrect is based on the issue being detected after the ball became live. However, I cannot find this in the rulebook. Is this covered anywhere other than 3-2-2 and 10-1-2?
10-1-2 PENALTY 2a specifies that it's penalized if discovered before the ball becomes live to start the game.

Quote:
2) A-1 catches the ball while in the air. A-1 lands on one foot, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet. A-1 then lifts one foot off the floor and starts a dribble. Official rules this a legal play. Is the official correct?

I answered no, but the answer was yes.

I agree with you. Violation. 4-44-4b.

Quote:
3) A-2 in the frontcourt bats A-1's throw-in into the backcourt. A-2 retrieves the ball in the backcourt. Official rules this a legal play. Is the official correct?

I answered no but the correct answer was yes. Another typo or am I missing something here?

In order to have a backcourt violation, there must be team control. No team control while A1 has the ball OOB for the throw-in. A2's bat does not establish team control. So there's no team control while the ball is in the frontcourt. Therefore, no violation when A3 is first to touch in the backcourt.

Quote:
4) A-1, while dribbling, intentionally pushes B-1. Official rules this a player control foul. Is the official correct?

I found this one confusing. I answered yes, even though I knew it was an intentional foul. However, is it not still considered a player control foul, or is it simply an intentional foul?
If it were a PC foul, then no FTs could be awarded. An intentional foul by the dribbler is not a PC. A PC foul is defined as a common foul by the player in control of the ball or by an airborne shooter. 4-19-6
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

If a test question says intentionally then it normally wants you to assess an intentional foul.

A player dribbling can be called for an intentional foul and be penalized the 2 shots and the ball. The new TC or PC foul will not overide this