The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Control Fouls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22880-team-control-fouls.html)

johnnyrao Wed Oct 26, 2005 09:45pm

I did my first games of the season last night. Two freshmen games. It took a while but midway through the second quarter we had our first team control foul. I reported it to the table and indicated a throw-in for white. The coach from the white team and the school's varsity coach immediately started calling for a 1 and 1 (they were in the bonus). I turned to my partners and told them to wait a second. I called both coaches over and explained to them that this was a new rule. I tried not to get too long winded with them just a basic explanation and told them it was a rule change that they needed to know for this season. The varsity coach heard it and nodded his head as if he knew of the change. My question is as we move into the JV and varsity season in about three weeks from now would you suggest we cover this in pre-game conference, do an explanation the first time it happens (at least for the first few games) or simply tell the coaches that we have the call right and the need to go back and review the rule changes for this year? In AL high school coaches are required to attend a rules clinic so there is an expectation that they should know the rule change but I have a feeling we will be doing a lot of explaining. Anyone experiencing the same thing and how are you handling it?

refnrev Wed Oct 26, 2005 09:50pm

It never hurts to review new rules briefly -- and I do mean briefly -- the first few weeks. Your scorekeeper and timer need to be brought on board, too. As for the parents and fans, it will take a while, then the light bulbs will click on.

johnnyrao Wed Oct 26, 2005 09:56pm

Thanks. Great point on reviewing this with the scorer and timer during a pre-game. Never thought of that.

IREFU2 Thu Oct 27, 2005 07:24am

I agree about the pre-game stuff. I think this year will really test the officials as well as coachs with all of the changes and POI.

Tweet Thu Oct 27, 2005 08:03am

Oh yea you definately need to cover thi sin the pre-game for the first 2 weeks, and also I'd suggest when you introduce yourself to the coaches, ask them if they are aware of the new rules. after 2 weeks of playing ball, I think all the teams should have had enough time to learn the rules, and there shouldn't be a need of reminding them.

And I mean good coaches will know new rules before the season starts and they will make their players aware of them so he can start using advantage of the new rule sin his favour during the game if he can.

rainmaker Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:51am

Here's how I plan to say it in my pre-game:

"Has everyone heard about the new team control foul? High School is now going to be like college -- no free throws for any foul committed by the team in control, even away from the ball."

Three or four weeks into the season, I'll say,

"Any questions about the new team control foul rule?"

bob jenkins Thu Oct 27, 2005 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
High School is now going to be like college

I'd be careful with using that phrase -- the NCAA definition of TC is different from the FED definition. So, the rule is enforced differently.

johnnyrao Fri Oct 28, 2005 07:40am

Juulie,

Good point. I think that's a good way to go for the pre-game. I was wondering how to include it in the pre-game and not make the conference too long. Just mention it and if the coaches have a specific question on it they can ask.

IREFU2 Fri Oct 28, 2005 07:55am

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
High School is now going to be like college

I'd be careful with using that phrase -- the NCAA definition of TC is different from the FED definition. So, the rule is enforced differently.

I agree and we had a good talk about that last night at a College scrimmage. But I agree, high school will soon adopt more college rules as well as mechanics.