The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Hey guys,

So a couple of weeks ago i had a round-robin, JV Girls Tournament game on a saturday morning. Just before the game as we were introducing ourselves to the coaches, One of teh coaches of the team started telling us how they did not score untill the 4th quarter in last nights game, and that his girls were very low on moral, So he proceeded by telling us that if we could call an early foul on teh other team early in the game so his gurls would score and have some "hope".

I was very shocked by the request and i didn't know what exactly to say. I told him we would call what we see, but I felt like he was over the line and that I should have somehow punished him.

I was wondering what you guys would have said/done in that situation?

P.S. He did end up gettin a call early on which tehy scored, but it was a good fould by the other team that caused it. BUT he ended up thanking us after the quarter. He defenitly didnt get the call caus ehe asked for it earlier.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I would have asked him if he wanted to trade places. If he would let me decide who would go in the game, then he could decide when I should call fouls.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I would have asked him if he wanted to trade places. If he would let me decide who would go in the game, then he could decide when I should call fouls.
This is a little too smart-@$$ for my personality. I would've said pretty much what Tweet said. "Coach, we're gonna call what's in front of us. Good luck."

If I wanted to make the point more forcefully, I might've said, "Coach, we wouldn't cheat for the other team, so we can't cheat for you either."
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

What Chuck said.

Z
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
This is a little too smart-@$$ for my personality. I would've said pretty much what Tweet said. "Coach, we're gonna call what's in front of us. Good luck."

If I wanted to make the point more forcefully, I might've said, "Coach, we wouldn't cheat for the other team, so we can't cheat for you either."
Actually, I would have done in a way that it would have been a joke. I have a great relationship with the coaches in our area, so they would have known I was joking.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Was the other coach there when he said it? I assume not.

I like the approach that says, both coaches should agree on any rule modifications. Tell this guy, "I'm very willing to follow the rules of this tournament. You and the other coach get together and agree on any changes from Fed, and I'll do it that way." It's a little bit smart-***, but if you do it completely straight, he'll get the message.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Similar Situation

Had a coach ask me last year after the coach's meeting to "help us out" I simply looked at him as straight faced as possible and said, "I'm not that good." He got the point and afterwards apologized for putting me/us in that situation.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Actually, I would have done in a way that it would have been a joke. I have a great relationship with the coaches in our area, so they would have known I was joking.
Me too. Make a joke out of it. Stick out your hand and tell him the pregame fee is $20 per call, it will only go up as he falls behind. Laugh as you say it. Make sure he knows you think he was joking too. He'll get the idea, and you won't come off like you have a 8' length of rebar up your...well, you get the idea.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweet
Hey guys,

So a couple of weeks ago i had a round-robin, JV Girls Tournament game on a saturday morning. Just before the game as we were introducing ourselves to the coaches, One of teh coaches of the team started telling us how they did not score untill the 4th quarter in last nights game, and that his girls were very low on moral, So he proceeded by telling us that if we could call an early foul on teh other team early in the game so his gurls would score and have some "hope".

I was very shocked by the request and i didn't know what exactly to say. I told him we would call what we see, but I felt like he was over the line and that I should have somehow punished him.

I was wondering what you guys would have said/done in that situation?

P.S. He did end up gettin a call early on which tehy scored, but it was a good fould by the other team that caused it. BUT he ended up thanking us after the quarter. He defenitly didnt get the call caus ehe asked for it earlier.
Alen?
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

And if you are who I think you are, you forgot to mention what happened after the game, when we called a foul, but the time expired. (A 3 pt shooting foul) and the coach argued with us when we wouldn't shoot the free throws. (As they couldn't have impacted the game)
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Me too. Make a joke out of it. Stick out your hand and tell him the pregame fee is $20 per call, it will only go up as he falls behind. Laugh as you say it. Make sure he knows you think he was joking too. He'll get the idea, and you won't come off like you have a 8' length of rebar up your...well, you get the idea.
Some of us can't pull off the joking thing. It's better not to try. The rebar thing isn't necessarily good, but at least it's better than looking like a jack$$$, if those are the only two choices. I try to steer somewhere down the middle. "No, I'm not going to cheat for you, but I'm also not going to hold it against you for suggesting it."
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Where do coaches find the audacity to ask questions like that? I've never had a coach ask me some of the questions that coaches have posed to you guys.....
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Where do coaches find the audacity to ask questions like that? I've never had a coach ask me some of the questions that coaches have posed to you guys.....
Well...maybe you're just not an approachable kind of guy.

As far as the Coach's stupid question...I'm with Dan...if some coach says something like that...I would just laugh it off. If that same JV coach says, "No, I'm serious"... I would probably tell him something like, "Coach, do you really think we would do that?"...and instead of laughing with him, I would be laughing at him.
If he wanted to continue his silliness...I would tell him something like, "Coach, go to your bench...you're starting to bother me".

Richland, WA
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Hi ref 18,

yes its Alen, I guess ur Julian my partner from the game.

AND yes I did totally forget about the 3point foul. END of the game buzzer shot, his girl gets fouled, I blew the whistle, horn sounds, no point of us shooting the fouls( his team is behind like 100 points) i say dats game, coach starts yellin at us for not shooting the 3-points, his point being that even if it doesnt matter to the game, it matters to the girl that she hasnt scored all year and here is her chance. We ended up giving the girl the 3 shots, she made one, everybody applauded and all.

I mean I am not a cold hearted guy buy the coach should understand teh game is the game, an dI as a ref shouldn't and don't want to worry bout the moral of his team unless it affects the "rules" part of the game.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

The closest I've come to a smart reply was a coach comes over to us before the game and said "Hey, watch their post player. He gets a little rough." I said,"Wow, what a coincidence, coach. Their coach just said the same thing about your post player."