The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

In a game with media timeouts, player A1 is disqualified with his fifth foul. A media TO is required. Team B is not in the bonus. When do you allow A1 sub to enter the game...Before the media TO or after. The only reference I can find is if there will be free throws taken by Team B, then free throws will follow the TO.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 09:57am
Do not give a damn!!

I would think that you would allow the substitution before any timeout of any kind. Now I have never worked a game with a media timeout, I am pretty sure the rules are the same with media timeouts as they are with other team timeouts.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm taking the same test this week, Jeff. I have a question mark next to that one. LOL. None of my games use media time-outs.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
In order for the game to continue properly, Team A has to replace the DQ'ed player, then go to the media TO. After the TO, B resumes with throw in at the designated spot.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

That's my initial ruling as well. Just wanted a clarification. As with Chuck...none of the games I will work have media TO's.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
get sub first

Make the substitution before the time out. Since you have to report the foul prior to the media timeout beginning, then 4-17-5 applies, which states the disqualified player shall be replaced within a 20-second period.....

If you wait til the end of the media timeout, you are doing the other team a diservice, as they were not able to make possible adjustments that could be warrented from certain players being in the game. You also run the risk of the coach going brain dead and not getting the sub in before the warning horn, which would then by rule make him play with 4.

Regardless, the media will go to break when the appropriate time slot in the game has been reached. They will not wait for the substitution to occur. They are more interested in getting their commercials on the air.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 10:00pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I would agree with bigwhistle. In the non-media games I've seen, if a coach wants a timeout and there is a DQ'ed player, that player must be replaced prior to the timeout being granted.

So extrapolating, it would seem that the DQ'd player must be replaced prior to the media timeout.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball