The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I was going to try to search because so many good answers have appeared here before, but maybe one (or more) of you could help with a question on our coaching site. As soon as I read it I knew there would be a billion different interpretations because no one knows the rules.

I was going to comment, but thought it might be better if I had an official version with the rules reference and interpretation that coaches will understand. The answers have ranged from "you have a 3 foot spot" to "you can only pivot when the ref says spot, no lifting or moving feet allowed" and also "you can only run the baseline after a made shot"

Thanks everyone. Here is the question:

"Coaches/refs/anyone who knows, what is the exact rule on when the inbounder must remain stationary versus when the inbounder can run the baseline? The only thing anyone has told me is "If the ref hands the girl the ball, she must inbound from that spot; if the girl retrieves the ball and the ref does not hand it to her, she can run the baseline." Is that correct?

Also, I've seen several inbound plays having the inbounder pass to a teammate out of bounds on the other side of the baseline, and then that teammate inbounds. How do the rules affect that scenario?

Can the second inbounder pass back to the first inbounder again while they are both still out of bounds? Can the second inbounder INbound to the first inbounder (assuming of course the first inbounder has then stepped inbounds)? I thought there was a rule about not touching the ball immediately after being out of bounds, but I may be confusing that with football or something else. "

Thanks again everyone.
Coach G

Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

After a made basket (field goal, last free throw) or awarded basket (defensive basket interference or goaltending) the other team gets the ball & the option to run the endline. In that case you can have as many people behind the endline as you like and they can pass the ball to each other until 5 seconds elapses. Pretty much it, some ugly details apply when the defensive team fouls during one of these throw-ins.

For all other throw-ins this option does not exist and only the player throwing the ball in can be out of bounds and he must keep 1 foot over the designated spot at all times.

Travel & dribble rules do not aply in any throw-in.

Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Coach, there are 2 types of throw-ins. (1) Throw-ins from anywhere along the endline; (2) Designated spot throw-ins.

(1) These throw-ins are only after a made or awarded basket. If your opponent scores (or your team goaltends), then your player can run the entire length of the endline before making the throw-in. Also, this is the only kind of throw-in where a player can pass the ball to another player who is also out of bounds. Again, this only happens after a made or awarded score.

(2) These throw-ins are the result of a violation (when no points are awarded) like a travel or out of bounds; or a foul when no free throws are awarded, for example. During this type of throw-in, the inbounder has a designated spot. The inbounder has a 3-foot wide spot and must keep one foot on or over that 3-foot area until the ball is released on the throw-in. Now, as long as the inbounder is on or over that spot, s/he can jump, move backwards, move side-to-side, or do the hokey-pokey for all I care. The pivot foot rules DO NOT APPLY during any throw-in. Anything you hear about remaining stationary or about traveling or about keeping your pivot is a myth, pure and simple.

Good luck convincing your colleagues.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Dan's got most of it, and Chuck added most of the rest. The part I would add is the "spot" is usually considered a three foot wide area, with no depth limitations. So, for example, even though a player is "on the spot", that player can back up 10 feet if they want, as long as they keep at least one foot over the three-foot-wide area. So it's kind of a myth that the player can't move; they can, just within a limited area.

Speaking of the hokey-pokey, with all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at the moment, it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person, which almost went unnoticed recently.

Larry LaPrise, the man who wrote "The Hokey Pokey," died peacefully at age 93.

The most traumatic part for his family was getting him into the coffin. They put his left leg in. And then the trouble started.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

On Larry LaPrise's tombstone is written:

I was right, that IS what it's all about.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgbert
The only thing anyone has told me is "If the ref hands the girl the ball, she must inbound from that spot; if the girl retrieves the ball and the ref does not hand it to her, she can run the baseline." Is that correct?
This is incorrect because if there is a made basket and then a timeout the team will still have the option to run the endline after the timeout. This is also true if there is a violation or foul, the official hands the ball to the player but he/she still has the option to run.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 01:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

The most traumatic part for his family was getting him into the coffin. They put his left leg in. And then the trouble started.
Get help before it's too late.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Get help before it's too late.
Sorry.

It's too late.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

What everyone else has said is correct about the spot throw-in.

From a coaching stand point I'd add that one foot on or over the 3 foot spot, can cover a lot of floor without a violation.

What I look for to judge a violation is a step to the side and a crossover and step with the other foot. Unless that initial step was a small one, less than 18 inches, both feet have left the 3 foot space.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Speaking of the hokey-pokey, with all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at the moment, it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person, which almost went unnoticed recently.

Actually, he died April 4, 1996 in Idaho, at the age of 83. I guess that could be considered "recent."
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

All the above said, don't be suprised to have it called traveling or some such violation by an official. I've seen too many that don't put the effort into rules study blow this call.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes

Actually, he died April 4, 1996 in Idaho, at the age of 83. I guess that could be considered "recent."
Well, ok, in terms of the ages of some of the senior people around here, that's, like, yesterday.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches in the more junior grades might want to teach their players that on a Designated Spot Throw-in...once the Official bounces the player the ball....that the Team can't decide to have another player go out of bounds and replace the player making the Throw-in. I see that one a couple of times a year and feel bad because when I call it....the kids have no idea what they did wrong.

Also for Jr. Grade Coaches...when I was in HS our Point Guard conned a kid making a Throw-in out of the ball by saying,

"Check?"

The kid tossed him the Throw-in. That's a good one to cover, too.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M&M Guy
[B]Dan's got most of it, and Chuck added most of the rest. The part I would add is the "spot" is usually considered a three foot wide area, with no depth limitations. So, for example, even though a player is "on the spot", that player can back up 10 feet if they want, as long as they keep at least one foot over the three-foot-wide area. So it's kind of a myth that the player can't move; they can, just within a limited area.

__________________________________________________ _________
Yep to what M&M just said!