The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 13, 2001, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Lightbulb

Watching Division 1 Basketball Games I see mostly the same officials working the games.I also see some of these officials strugggling to get up and down the floor.If there were not 3man crews I doubt If some of these officials could exist!So were 3man crews designed to keep some of these officials around?
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 11:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Better for the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
Watching Division 1 Basketball Games I see mostly the same officials working the games.I also see some of these officials strugggling to get up and down the floor.If there were not 3man crews I doubt If some of these officials could exist!So were 3man crews designed to keep some of these officials around?
You are right that if there was not 3 man, many officials would not be around. But I do not believe that is why 3 man was created. If you understand the system of 3 man, it does have better coverage and has officials call a better game. I would not go as far to say that the system was created just to benefit the officials. I think the system makes the game better if you want to know the truth.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

After working three man, I cringe at the things I know I am going to miss when working two man. There is just no way to get the same court coverage you do in three man. It might keep some guys around, but it is the better of the two options I think.
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 11:35am
Esteemed Participant

3-person mechanics do not protect officials who are not very good to start with! Does it lengthen the careers of some officials - of course. Physically, 3-person mechanics are less demanding on the whole (although I have worked some 3-person games where I am still exhausted afterwards)...mentally, it can be more of a drain than two person. Some of those "older" officials we see doing big-time college games are there because of their experience and judgement...would they be there if it was still two-person? Don't know...but three-person was installed because the game is so much faster and has so much more going on than it did 20 years ago, not to protect officials...
Old Mon May 14, 2001, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Let me add my 2 cents worth.
After doing 3-person( have to be PC) for the past 10 years in HS I never want to do 2-man again. The court coverage is so much better and off-the-ball action that was never called is the responsibility of at least 1 official. Cleans the game up real quick when done correctly.
As for older officials sticking around longer, I believe so. But use their knowledge and experience as a learning tool.
One thing I was told "While we get older every year, the players remain the same age and get quicker and stronger each year."
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by donfowler
Let me add my 2 cents worth.
After doing 3-person( have to be PC) for the past 10 years in HS I never want to do 2-man again. The court coverage is so much better and off-the-ball action that was never called is the responsibility of at least 1 official. Cleans the game up real quick when done correctly.
As for older officials sticking around longer, I believe so. But use their knowledge and experience as a learning tool.
One thing I was told "While we get older every year, the players remain the same age and get quicker and stronger each year."
Don't you mean 2-person?!?

J/K

My two sense!
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

This comment may be for another thread, I wish we had three man vs. two man. As pointed out earlier the kids do not get any younger, they are quicker, faster, and stronger. I would like to say they are also more disrespectful( not all kids). We need to keep the older officials around, we need the experience. I would like to continue to officiate basketball into my older years. I enjoy it. I will someday real soon hope for three man in my area not because I am out of shape, but to keep up with the game.

AK ref SE
Old Tue May 15, 2001, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Lightbulb Reply

Here in New York City the High School Basketball games are 2 man crews,The only time they usually go to 3 man crews is when they get down to the playoffs and usually in the semi finals through the finals.So I don't get the opportunity to work 3 man crews often.There was some points made about court coverage in 3 man crews that I strongly agree with.As far as coverage is concerned I think 3 man is great,though what I love about 2 man is the run you get!