The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Coach to ref: "I want a timeout if he/she makes this FT".

Do you grant the TO as soon as the FT is made or do you still require coach/player to request the timeout? In other words, does the coach's "heads-up" to us just make us look at the coach and be aware that a TO request is forthcoming; or does this constitute an actual TO request that we honor if the FT is made?

Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

If they asked for a timeout if the free throw was successful, then if the free throw is successful I grant the timeout. Why wouldn't you?

It's typically the team shooting the free throw that makes this request. The idea is to get the timeout before the other team can grab the ball after the made shot and start the throw-in - when it would be too late for the shooting team to call the timeout. It saves me a lot of trouble in looking from the coach to the kid taking the ball out - I don't have to deal with the timing. If they want a timeout and tell me beforehand, then all the better for me.

[Edited by Smitty on Oct 18th, 2005 at 02:09 PM]
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by closely_guarded

Do you grant the TO as soon as the FT is made or do you still require coach/player to request the timeout? In other words, does the coach's "heads-up" to us just make us look at the coach and be aware that a TO request is forthcoming; or does this constitute an actual TO request that we honor if the FT is made?
Maybe it's just me, but I have always told the coach to get my attention again after the made FT before I call the TO. There's nothing in the rules that permits a coach or player to call TO at some point in the future, and I've never wanted to get into the situation where a coach changes his mind, but I still grant the TO. Just tell them to catch your eye, and you've already been alerted to watch for the request, so there shouldn't be any problem with granting it in time.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem granting this time out. It's easier for coaches to communicate with you while things are pretty much at a stop rather than during a live ball. I do usually look at them before I call the TO to confirm they want one.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Me: "I'll look at you. You remind me."
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 02:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

I tell coaches to ask me when you want the time out. I do not think it is a good idea to give a timeout based on a "what if." Just remind the coach to ask me when you want the timeout, so it can be seen on tape or everyone can hear it. Coaches are paranoid creatures and if you give a timeout with no one making a signal or yelling, then you might allow the other coach to find one more thing to complain about. This has worked for me ever since this rule was in place.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
I've asked this many times, but I phrase the request differently. What I usually say is, "I'll be requesting a Time Out if he makes the Free Throw." Then I make sure I call it as the ball goes through the hoop.

I can appreciate the comments made about not wanting to blow the whistle and grant a time-out without hearing the request at that specific time. While I'm sure it can be explained calmly to an opposing coach that the request was made before the free throw, why put yourself in that position?

By the way JRut, why are you calling me paranoid? I know you are out to get me and hurt me. Just like all the others!
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't really out to get you...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

I'm with M&M and Chuck. Tell the coach that you and your partners will be watching for a TO request, and will grant it if it's made in a timely fashion. For one thing, there is no rules provision anywhere saying that coaches may be granted a TO before they are eligible to request one. What are you going to do if the coach suddenly changes his mind during the FT and decides that he really didn't want that TO anyway? There's no rule that I know of that sez you can now make him take that early-requested TO.

There's no real problem with the timing used while granting the TO either. The TO is granted when you recognize the TO request, not when you blow the whistle. If you recognize the request before the throwing team has the ball for the throw-in, then it doesn't matter a bit if they have possession of the ball when you actually blow the whistle. Them's the rules also.

Any coach with half a brain is gonna tell one of his players along the lane line to ask for the immediate TO anyway.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 18th, 2005 at 04:37 PM]
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Any coach with half a brain is gonna tell one of his players along the lane line to ask for the immediate TO anyway.

OH!!! Now that explains it!
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
I think it is a good idea to grant this timeout. If you want to remind the coach to signal you again once the basket is made, that makes sense also. But for me, it is good game management to grant it. I have even seen officials who will ask the coach/coaches if either of them wants a timeout after the made basket. It can get ugly when you have a coach asking for a timeout after the basket, the officials don't see or hear him right away, and the ball is out of bounds in control of the other team's inbounder, and it is too late. IMO it is good game management to grant the timeout.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 05:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

I just do not grant the "what if" timeouts because I have seen guys change their mind. I think they can ask for a timeout, what is the harm on their part.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 06:55pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I'm with M&M, Chuck and JR.

It will help keep you out of trouble.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. By not granting the TO you may put yourself in a situation that you don't want to be in. I see absolutely nothing wrong with granting the TO. It is our job to insure that the contest is officiated with as little or no interference as possible. I believe that not granting the TO puts a communication barrier between you and the coach.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I agree grant it. But I also agree with the other parties...

If I've properly introducted myself to both coaches it usually goes

"Hey John (or ref, or whatever it is they are appropriately calling us that game), give me a time out if he (mostly boys games) makes it."
"No Problem coach, just make sure you make the sign or say something incase i forget."
knowing that I won't forget I say that as a CYA kinna deal. If i blow the whistle and the coach is like no no no no no no ...

"whoops sorry guys, inadvertant whistle"