The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   On the QT (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22714-qt.html)

rainmaker Tue Oct 18, 2005 09:07pm

truerookie said:

"TC, decides DS throw-in whether FT's are successful or not. Is that safe to say."

It got me thinking. What would be the sentence regarding basketball that would include the most abbreviations such as PC, oob, and so forth? Let's not make up any new ones, just the things we see around here.

BktBallRef Tue Oct 18, 2005 09:20pm

Evidently, all the kids are either out of the house or in bed early this evening. :)

rainmaker Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Evidently, all the kids are either out of the house or in bed early this evening. :)
Teenager doing homework. He's feeling subdued after getting a well-earned yellow card in his soccer game, and then getting reprimanded by his father (who nevertheless earned his share of yellow in his day!).

Mason (7 yo) and Michael watching Shark Boy and Lava Girl. I couldn't hack it, so I came down to my office for some basketball thrills and chills.

My other two kids are out of the house permanently -- in an appropriate way.

BktBallRef Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:33pm

Who said, "Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P. "? :D

rainmaker Wed Oct 19, 2005 01:24am

Quote:

Who said, "Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P. "? :D
Okay, I admit I haven't been reffing as long as you have, but I'm not so naive that I don't get it -- you're changing the subject!! :p

TimTaylor Wed Oct 19, 2005 01:27am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Teenager doing homework. He's feeling subdued after getting a well-earned yellow card in his soccer game, and then getting reprimanded by his father (who nevertheless earned his share of yellow in his day!).

Mason (7 yo) and Michael watching Shark Boy and Lava Girl. I couldn't hack it, so I came down to my office for some basketball thrills and chills.

My other two kids are out of the house permanently -- in an appropriate way.
You mean the volleyball match tonight wasn't enough excitement for you? I just finished sending off a message to the Commish on the scorekeeper/lines person issue. PIL really needs to do something about getting their feces in formation.....

ChuckElias Wed Oct 19, 2005 08:27am

Quote:

Good morning to you, too. (That one's too easy, Tony.)

BktBallRef Wed Oct 19, 2005 07:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Juulie didn't know it! :p

Mark Dexter Wed Oct 19, 2005 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Definately too easy.

If Chuck's clue wasn't enough, my DVD only worked for half of this movie, but thankfully this line was in that half.

Mark Padgett Wed Oct 19, 2005 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
truerookie said:

"TC, decides DS throw-in whether FT's are successful or not. Is that safe to say."

It got me thinking. What would be the sentence regarding basketball that would include the most abbreviations such as PC, oob, and so forth? Let's not make up any new ones, just the things we see around here.

WTF?

M&M Guy Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:16pm

FYI, TC does not dictate DS TI, but whether there are bonus FT's. The DS or EL TI from OOB are determined by the CF on A, as shown by NFHS cases 4.19.8, 4.19.9A, and 7.5.7F (and similar cases in NCAA and NBA). IOW, don't confuse TC with the type of TI needed. JMO, I wish the NFHS would consider issuing more CB plays, but in the meantime, it's SNAFU.

Yea, my kids are in bed by now.

And I should be too.

ThickSkin Fri Oct 21, 2005 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
truerookie said:

WTF?

I couldn't have said it better myself!

rainmaker Fri Oct 21, 2005 01:46pm

Okay, let me re-word the initial post.

We use a lot of abbreviations in our discussions such as oob, PC, U, T, and so on. Sometimes it seems like there are more abbrev's than whole words. Hmmm.... What would be the maximum number of abbrev's one could squeeze into a sentence? What would be the highest percentage of words in one sentence that would be abbrev's?