The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt or not to backcourt and POI (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22616-backcourt-not-backcourt-poi.html)

reffish Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:36pm

Defensive A1 rebounds ball and dribbles toward halfcourt. B1 pokes ball away from A1, and repokes ball over halfcourt never gaining control, just able to poke ball, into hands of B2 who is in his back court. What is the call?
One more stich, A1 shoots ball and B2 pushes A2 trying to get position for rebound. Whistle blows, mine, count the basket, B2 common foul, not in bonus, ball OOB for B. Not making excuses, but I have not researched play in rule book. I went with that call, thinking this was a point of interuption play. The more I think of it, I think I blew the call. The players did not disagree nor did my partner. Thanks for the input.

deecee Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:40pm

first instance not a backcourt as they never had possesion in the frontcourt

second one -- basket counts and A1 gets ball baseline.

reffish Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:44pm

Okay that makes sense. No possesion, no backcourt. I did blow the second one, won't happen again.
First one, I blow whislte signal backcourt, partner comes in and says no possesion, we can't have backcourt. Oh chit, I called inadvertant whislte, we go to AP arrow.

jritchie Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:47pm

point of interruption

in nfhs, you only have pt. of interruption on double personal, double technical, or simultaneous fouls...also a couple other things but none dealing with fouls.. (accidental whistle,correctable error)

jritchie Thu Oct 13, 2005 01:52pm

Don't go alt. poss. arrow???

Quote:

Originally posted by reffish
Okay that makes sense. No possesion, no backcourt. I did blow the second one, won't happen again.
First one, I blow whislte signal backcourt, partner comes in and says no possesion, we can't have backcourt. Oh chit, I called inadvertant whislte, we go to AP arrow.

an inadverdant whistle on this play you shouldn't go ap arrow...you should just give it back to the team that had possession, when your whistle occured, if that is the team that supposed to have it!!

reffish Thu Oct 13, 2005 02:35pm

I thought that with any inadvertant whistle you go to AP arrow.

Smitty Thu Oct 13, 2005 02:39pm

Quote:

Where is that written? If one team clearly has possession of the ball when you screw up, why would you not give it back to them? If there is a question of who is in posession at the time of the screw up or there is no team control at the time of the screw up, then you have to go to the arrow.

Jurassic Referee Thu Oct 13, 2005 03:03pm

Quote:

See case book play 7.5.4. Lays it out pretty good.