The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 07:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I asked Dave what he thought of the new signal for full timeouts. He said he didn't care and what we need more than that is a signal for flagrant fouls. When I asked him why that signal would be more important he told me he calls a lot more flagrants than timeouts.

He also doesn't mind the new, larger coaching box as long as it is located in the parking lot.
Old Mon May 07, 2001, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Easy solution

Tell Dave to give the coaches flagrant fouls - then they'll have to coach from the parking lot.
Old Tue May 08, 2001, 12:06am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: Easy solution

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Tell Dave to give the coaches flagrant fouls - then they'll have to coach from the parking lot.
That was the point
Old Tue May 08, 2001, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: Easy solution

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

This reminds me of a situation with the Youth Football League in my area this past Fall. I was an eyewitness.

With about 3 minutes left in a game with his team up by 21 points a coach had been riding the officials the entire game about unnecessary roughness by the other team. On a punt return his player was running down the sideline and was nailed by an opponent. It was about 5 yards from where I was standing and it was just a good tackle by the kid. The coach went balistic on the closest official and was ejected. In this league an ejection is an automatic 1 game suspension. The next week a parent pointed out to the coach on the opposing team that the assistant coach was turning his back to the field and talking on a cell phone. Someone else spotted the suspended coach behind some bushes with binoculars talking to the assistant on his cell phone. League officials went to talk to the guy and he refused to leave. He said he was on private property and they could not make him leave. 2 league officials stood where he was the rest of the game and all of the spectators had a good laugh at this odd group standing over by the bushes. Because of his stupidity, he was suspended the rest of the season.
Old Tue May 08, 2001, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

On the other hand. . .

US National Team head coach Bruce Arena get suspended 3 games for flagrant abuse of a ref in World Cup soccer qualifying, and he was definitely way over the line on this one. Granted, looking at all replays, the ref botched the particular call he was protesting, which resulted in a game-winning pk at the end of a key match. He was still way out there and deserved the suspension. Nevertheless, FIFA allowed him to sit in the stadium and talk to the bench by cell phone during his "suspension." Guess everybody has their own interpretation of what suspension means. Then they shortened the suspension without ever saying why - it was well after the incident and any formal review of the incident. Kinda makes you wonder! (and makes you want to ref a major FIFA game)