The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   In bounds pass (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22254-bounds-pass.html)

e.g. hoops Wed Sep 21, 2005 04:11pm

when making an inbounds pass from under the basket can you pass the ball to another player standing out of bounds on the same side you are standing on but on the other side of the hoop?

Jurassic Referee Wed Sep 21, 2005 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by e.g. hoops
when making an inbounds pass from under the basket can you pass the ball to another player standing out of bounds on the same side you are standing on but on the other side of the hoop?
Only if it's a non-designated spot throw-in--i.e. after a made or awarded basket.

Welcome to the forum.

ROMANO Wed Sep 21, 2005 04:16pm

In the FIBA rules you can pass the ball to you'r team player if he is standing also at the base line with you.

e.g. hoops Wed Sep 21, 2005 04:17pm

so it can't be used as a designed press breaker

Jurassic Referee Wed Sep 21, 2005 04:24pm

Quote:

so it can't be used as a designed press breaker
Under NFHS and NCAA rules, it is OK if the throw-in is not a designated spot throw-in. Iow, if the thrower can legally run the end line, then his teammates may be out-of-bounds too.

ROMANO Wed Sep 21, 2005 04:25pm

Yes.
you can see that alot in the europe games.

ChuckElias Wed Sep 21, 2005 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Iow, if the thrower can legally run the end line, then his teammates may be out-of-bounds too.
As long as the teammate's not just running around a screen, right? :)

Jurassic Referee Wed Sep 21, 2005 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Iow, if the thrower can legally run the end line, then his teammates may be out-of-bounds too.

I knew that was coming.

Please note that I very studiously ignored M&M in your other thread today--- the one where he brought up the clock starting while a throw-in was in the air and he wanted to move the ball up to center. The man has a mean streak in him, starting that one up again.

Texas Aggie Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:10pm

Let's get a little more specific:

A player has the ability to "run the baseline," throw the ball in from anywhere along the baseline, or make a pass to another team player out of bounds along the baseline if the other team has scored or been credited with a score by rule (i.e. goaltending/basket interference). The 5 second rule still applies.

Every other throw in is what is called a designated spot throw in where the player can't really move (usually not more than a step in either direction). These include all throw ins that are not directly after a made or credited basket and obviously throw ins that are not on the baseline.

Is the signal for designated spot throw in violations still two "finger points", for lack of a better description?

Jurassic Referee Thu Sep 22, 2005 06:25am

Quote:

Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Let's get a little more specific:

Is the signal for designated spot throw in violations still two "finger points", for lack of a better description?

Yup.
Signal 25 in the NFHS rulebook.

Signal 30 in the NCAA rulebook.

Jimgolf Thu Sep 22, 2005 07:52am

Quote:

The only time you can make an inbounds pass from under the basket is after a score by the opponent or a timeout after a score by an opponent. Otherwise the spot for the throw-in would not be under the basket, but next to it or somewhere else along the baseline.

So the answer is yes.

M&M Guy Thu Sep 22, 2005 08:38am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

I knew that was coming.

Please note that I very studiously ignored M&M in your other thread today--- the one where he brought up the clock starting while a throw-in was in the air and he wanted to move the ball up to center. The man has a mean streak in him, starting that one up again.

;)