The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Rating Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/2220-rating-mechanics.html)

dhodges007 Mon Apr 23, 2001 07:15pm

I am getting ready to be "rated" on my mechanics... what are the main things that they will be looking at? If I can sell my call? If I get my hand up? Control of the game? What else?

Brian Watson Mon Apr 23, 2001 09:01pm

Just remember the POE from a few years back, use only the fed mechanics. This would be a good time to study the signals, and ensure you hit them every time.

For example, a block is open palms on the hips, not fists.

A PC foul is a bird dog, then placing your right hand behind the head, the left should be at your side, not signalling direction (That is an NCAA signal).

It is all the simple things.

dhodges007 Tue Apr 24, 2001 12:44am

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Watson
Just remember the POE from a few years back, use only the fed mechanics. This would be a good time to study the signals, and ensure you hit them every time.

For example, a block is open palms on the hips, not fists.

A PC foul is a bird dog, then placing your right hand behind the head, the left should be at your side, not signalling direction (That is an NCAA signal).

It is all the simple things.

What is a bird dog?

JRutledge Tue Apr 24, 2001 02:00am

Look in the back.

Quote:

Originally posted by dhodges007
What is a bird dog?
The action of when you point towards a player. You know in the back to the mechanics book, and your fist is up for a foul, and the other arm is pointed at the waist of the fouling player.

dhodges007 Tue Apr 24, 2001 02:02am

Re: Look in the back.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Originally posted by dhodges007
What is a bird dog?
The action of when you point towards a player. You know in the back to the mechanics book, and your fist is up for a foul, and the other arm is pointed at the waist of the fouling player.

Thanks Rut, I have never heard that term before. Anyone know where that "name" came from... that I am curious of.

dblref Tue Apr 24, 2001 06:58am

Do you only get rated on mechanics periodically? In my association, we get rated almost every game - particularly at the varsity level. For most games, in this area we have a freshman game (4;00 pm), JV game (5:45 pm), and varsity (7:30 pm). The varsity officials are "expected" to observe at least 1 quarter (preferably 2 quarters), and rate the JV official. At the varsity level (if you have a minimum of 3 years at that level), we also rate our partners - this can be fun! We use a 4 section form with a score of 1-5 for each section for a maximum of 20 points. The form covers items such as: rule knowledge & application, court presence, mechanics, control of the game, etc. If we give a 3 or below, we have to give "specific comments". This stops a lot of the "You're doing O.K." comments. The rating form is tri-copy with a copy to the ratee, one to the commissioner, and a copy for the rater. At the end of the season, the forms are used to decide which JV officials get invited to a Varsity League to possibly move up. We have JV, Swing (JV/V), and Varsity officials. You can't move to Varsity without going through Swing first. Sorry this is so long.

Brian Watson Tue Apr 24, 2001 09:45am

I guess it is because you're pointing at the offending party much like a bird dog points toward game?

I don't know the origin, I have just always heard it called that.

WestCoastRef Tue Apr 24, 2001 10:00am

no bird dog in Arizona

Denny,
I think I remember you saying you are from Tucson... Mr. Reigar does not make us bird dog AT ALL!!! If you are being evaluated in Arizona, hold the bird dog. Just be crisp and strong with your mechanics. Make them believable but don't try to sell every one. Mechanics is also being in the right place to referee the game. and remember, HUSTLE goes a long way in getting evaluators on your side!! Good luck!

dhodges007 Tue Apr 24, 2001 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Do you only get rated on mechanics periodically? In my association, we get rated almost every game - particularly at the varsity level. For most games, in this area we have a freshman game (4;00 pm), JV game (5:45 pm), and varsity (7:30 pm). The varsity officials are "expected" to observe at least 1 quarter (preferably 2 quarters), and rate the JV official. At the varsity level (if you have a minimum of 3 years at that level), we also rate our partners - this can be fun! We use a 4 section form with a score of 1-5 for each section for a maximum of 20 points. The form covers items such as: rule knowledge & application, court presence, mechanics, control of the game, etc. If we give a 3 or below, we have to give "specific comments". This stops a lot of the "You're doing O.K." comments. The rating form is tri-copy with a copy to the ratee, one to the commissioner, and a copy for the rater. At the end of the season, the forms are used to decide which JV officials get invited to a Varsity League to possibly move up. We have JV, Swing (JV/V), and Varsity officials. You can't move to Varsity without going through Swing first. Sorry this is so long.
This was just for a specific job.

dhodges007 Tue Apr 24, 2001 02:33pm

Re: no bird dog in Arizona

Quote:

Originally posted by WestCoastRef
Denny,
I think I remember you saying you are from Tucson... Mr. Reigar does not make us bird dog AT ALL!!! If you are being evaluated in Arizona, hold the bird dog. Just be crisp and strong with your mechanics. Make them believable but don't try to sell every one. Mechanics is also being in the right place to referee the game. and remember, HUSTLE goes a long way in getting evaluators on your side!! Good luck!

Good memory. Yes, I am from Tucson and thanks for the tip.

moose69 Tue Apr 24, 2001 09:58pm

Not sure about other localss. but In Ontario, we don't bird dog on a PC. What is the point? A bird dog is used to designate the offender. If you stop the clock with a clinched fist,signal PC, direction, then disgnate the spot, that should suffice as the proper signaling sequence. The point of bird dogging is to designate the offender, once you show PC, it should clarify who the offender is, correct??

Tyler

Brian Watson Wed Apr 25, 2001 06:51am

I admit that I do not bird dog on PC's unless I am being observed. My point is, proper NFHS mechanics state you are to bird dog on every foul.

Though I have to admit I will bird dog on a PC to add drama to a coach who is getting on my nerves. That 1/2 second delay kills 'em.

Richard Ogg Wed Apr 25, 2001 05:20pm

We are encouraged to not use the "bird dog" at all.

As for other mechanics (2-man), our area looks for
<ul>
<li>"walk" instead of "traveling",
<li>bouncing the ball for inbounds (always required for trail, never allowed for lead, and lead never inbounds sideline),
<li>crossing the paint for low-post action on the far block,
<li>trail working hard -- right distance (~15 feet) on back-court traps, good arc in front court to see play,
<li>5/10-second counts clear, etc.
<li>One big item is the foul reporting -- do we hustle to the right area, stop and hesitate to allow the table to synch up, then report clearly, slowly, hand just outside of face, standing straight, and not moving out until completed?
<li>Do we communicate clearly with our partner about shooting on foul or not, where inbound is to be, etc.
<li>Do we stay and referee the rebound, or sneak out for a head-start down the court to not get beat?
</ul>
I skipped the obvious straight-arm, clean signals stuff. Hope this helps.

Dan_ref Thu Apr 26, 2001 09:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by Richard Ogg

<ul>

<li>bouncing the ball for inbounds (always required for trail, never allowed for lead, and lead never inbounds sideline),

</ul>

Richard, don't you let the lead bounce the ball to the
sideline when it's at the FT line extended & below?
This works very well because you don't need to switch
on sideline OOB when the ball goes out on the leads
line.

-Dan

Richard Ogg Fri Apr 27, 2001 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

Richard, don't you let the lead bounce the ball to the sideline when it's at the FT line extended & below? This works very well because you don't need to switch on sideline OOB when the ball goes out on the leads line.

-Dan

Dan, we're not allowed to do that here, even though it is "by the book". The issue is that your suggestion forces the Lead all the way to the sideline to referee the inbound activity. The inbound will, be assured, go immediately (directly or indirectly) to the low block on your side. Now the Lead is way out of position to referee that action, and the Trail would have to work through the paint to the action.

So for those sideline inbounds, even below the FT line extended, we switch (and hustle!). Now that said, if the players are young enough or the action not that good, we may do as you suggested. If you know very well that the team involved is not capable of getting the ball quickly to the low block then we might bounce to the lower sideline. But, our association instructions are to switch instead.