The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Physical Conditioning Requirement (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21950-physical-conditioning-requirement.html)

pauli Tue Aug 30, 2005 09:09am

As we approach the new season, our unit's governing board of directors is going to be asked to consider requiring some level of minimum physical conditioning as a requirement to be assigned games. I know that locally the soccer officials must pass a conditioning standard. There are some officials in our unit who seem like heart attacks waiting to happen. Do any of your associations require some type of physical testing?

Snake~eyes Tue Aug 30, 2005 09:50am

Quote:

Originally posted by pauli
As we approach the new season, our unit's governing board of directors is going to be asked to consider requiring some level of minimum physical conditioning as a requirement to be assigned games. I know that locally the soccer officials must pass a conditioning standard. There are some officials in our unit who seem like heart attacks waiting to happen. Do any of your associations require some type of physical testing?
Not us.

JRutledge Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:28am

Not us either.

Peace

refnrev Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:29am

Nope!

M&M Guy Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:31am

Does being alive count as a minimum standard?

In our area, almost all of the small schools hire the officials, so the only "standards" are if the coach doesn't think you are totally inept, and you are available that night. In the larger conferences where there is an assignor, it's up to them to decide if you are able to work their games. It's still subjective, however, because I have seen some officials get games because they are great from a judgement and people skills standpoint, but they still look like they could keel over at any moment.

Dudly Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:12pm

Does ours ever. Seems like all we ever do is physical conditioning. Oh wait, that's the Marine Corps not the local bball association.

Red_Killian Tue Aug 30, 2005 04:56pm

We don't but I would be in favor of adding such a requirement just to give conditioning more awareness. It's not a problem in our association but if we focused a little more on conditioning maybe we would see less injuries.

zebraman Tue Aug 30, 2005 07:55pm

Nope. If you have a pulse, even a weak one, you're in. Our ratings system takes physical abilities into account to some extent so an official who struggles to keep up will end up getting assigned to lower level games.

Z

Ref in PA Wed Aug 31, 2005 07:14am

Not us either. However, to get State playoff games, appearance is a big requirement. You can be a horrible ref and look fit and trim and still get playoff games.

ChuckElias Wed Aug 31, 2005 09:03am

When I first came into CBOA (the Northeast's college officials' association), we were required to pass a doctor's physical each year. But we don't even have to do that anymore.

ref18 Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:42am

Up here, If you can walk, you can ref.