The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 07:59pm
BBallinRick

Had a situation the other day while playing. Player A is running towards the OOB's to save the ball, and he saves the ball. He then runs out of bounds. Can Player A be the first to touch the ball if he gets both feet in bounds?
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 08:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Under NF rules, he only has to have one foot inbounds, as long as the other one doesn't touch OOB - so the answer is yes.

Under FEEBLE rules, he must first surrender to the other team while watching a Jerry Lewis movie. He may then recover the ball, which is shaped like a trapezoid and bounces funny.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallinRick
Had a situation the other day while playing. Player A is running towards the OOB's to save the ball, and he saves the ball. He then runs out of bounds. Can Player A be the first to touch the ball if he gets both feet in bounds?
Yes, he can. Read the Case Book plays under 7.1.1.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, he can but it would suck if he had to. Where are his teammates and why aren't they helping him? That's the sucky part.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

I had to take myself out of a men's league game on this one once. I had the play as described. When I got back in bounds (I even had both feet legally on the playing floor) one of the officials called me for a violation. I think I was more upset with the official getting the rule wrong (I have to work with the guy on occasion) than losing possesion of the ball. This one definitely falls under the common misconceptions thread.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I had to take myself out of a men's league game on this one once. I had the play as described. When I got back in bounds (I even had both feet legally on the playing floor) one of the officials called me for a violation. I think I was more upset with the official getting the rule wrong (I have to work with the guy on occasion) than losing possesion of the ball. This one definitely falls under the common misconceptions thread.
When you work with them casually bring up a similar situation and than reference the case book like BktBallRef suggested this will clear it up for the person (fingers are crossed).
Old Tue Sep 06, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

That's exactly what I did. It was just in the heat of a game, I had to take myself out before I "explained" that he had the rule wrong. At the time, I doubt if I would have "explained" in a polite manner. We were down 4 with less than a minute left. Luckily we did end up winning on some clutch plays down the stretch (I was on the bench calming down).