The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this?

I was officiating a game at a summer league with someone I've never worked with before. Early in the game, I'm trail opposite the ball with the ball on the lead's side below the free-throw line. As an entry pass to the post is being thrown, I see the post defender bump the offensive player in the post, so I call a foul. As I switch with my partner after reporting the foul, he shoots me this dirty look as if to say that either wasn't a foul or that I shouldn't have called it (or both).

About three minutes later, we're in transition and I'm the lead. A cross-court pass gets tipped and goes off the basket support. My partner doesn't blow his whistle right away so I quickly look up to make eye contact with him. Then he blows his whistle to call the ball out of bounds. After retrieving the ball and bouncing it to me, he yells in to me, "Hey, you worry about your area and I'll worry about mine." I ignored him, if for nothing else because I thought it was extremely unprofessional for him to yell something like this across the floor in front of all the players.

Then at halftime, the guy gets in my face about the same thing. I tried to explain both instances. I said that on the foul call, he was looking at the ball in the corner, so I had to watch post play. I also told him on the second play that I never blew my whistle or made a call, that I simply made eye contact with him to make sure he had it. Then the guy starts screaming at me again, saying that I'm refereeing the whole floor.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this, other than requesting never to work with this guy again?