The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody know of any camps taking place in August (w/ the exception of Bob Delaney's camp in FL)? I have some free time on my hands this month, so I figured I'd look into this. Thank you in advance.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

That's the only one I know of. I am going. I hope it is great. Is this the first or second year of Bob's camp. If it is the second has anyone been to his first?
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
First, last year he was at coast to coast...

My two sense!
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Officially, it's his first year, but he ran an elite/premier camp in FL last year in conjunction with Coast to Coast.

refTN, did you have to apply or did you receive an invitation?
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

The SWAC camp is in Lake Charles, LA this weekend but as the camp starts tomorrow, registration is closed.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

NASDAQREF: I hear there is a Pro-Am camp in Tampa Aug 19,20 & 21 in Tampa.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Dribble you just have to apply
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Hey refTN,

I heard that Bob's only taking literally a handful of people though, so I didn't bother applying. Do you mind if I ask what level of ball you're working and your aspirations? Thanks.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble
I heard that Bob's only taking literally a handful of people
Really? Wow. Literally a handful of people?!?! How many people can he fit in his hand?

It's becoming more and more common for people to use "literally" when they really mean "figuratively", simply b/c "literally" is more dramatic. I must see it literally a million times a day.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I heard that Bob's only taking literally a handful of people
Really? Wow. Literally a handful of people?!?! How many people can he fit in his hand?

It's becoming more and more common for people to use "literally" when they really mean "figuratively", simply b/c "literally" is more dramatic. I must see it literally a million times a day.
Now Chuck, at the risk of posting yet something else that is better off left unsaid, here are the 2 definitions Google gave me for 'literally':

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=literally

Definitions of literally on the Web:

Adverb
S: (adv) literally (in a literal sense) "literally translated"; "he said so literally"
S: (adv) literally ((intensifier before a figurative expression) without exaggeration) "our eyes were literally pinned to TV during the Gulf War"

Hopefully JR will keep his yap shut.

Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Well, son of a gun. I was all set to spout off about the fact that I don't care about "internet usage". But then I went to m-w.com and found pretty much what Dan said.

Quote:
2 : in effect : VIRTUALLY
usage Since some people take sense 2 to be the opposite of sense 1, it has been frequently criticized as a misuse. Instead, the use is pure hyperbole intended to gain emphasis, but it often appears in contexts where no additional emphasis is necessary.
It's there, but I don't like it. I think "literal" should only be used in its literal sense. But that's literally a pipe dream.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Well, son of a gun. I was all set to spout off about the fact that I don't care about "internet usage". But then I went to m-w.com and found pretty much what Dan said.

Quote:
usage Since some people take sense 2 to be the opposite of sense 1, it has been frequently criticized as a misuse. Instead, the use is pure hyperbole intended to gain emphasis, but it often appears in contexts where no additional emphasis is necessary.
It's there, but I don't like it. I think "literal" should only be used in its literal sense. But that's literally a pipe dream.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey refTN,

I heard that Bob's only taking literally a handful of people though, so I didn't bother applying. Do you mind if I ask what level of ball you're working and your aspirations? Thanks.
Dribble I ref no higher than high school right now. You just have to call and if they have room they take you. Yes Bob is only taking a handful. 12 to be exact so there can be more of a one on one teaching level.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Chuck, I guess Dan is right ...

http://literally.barelyfitz.com/

[Edited by BLydic on Aug 4th, 2005 at 07:22 PM]
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Well, the dictionary also claims that it's appropriate to use epicenter to mean "center" or "midpoint," so I don't always trust 'em nowadays.