The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Question

I have just started looking through the NCAA rule book. I found the section for warnings (what they are and reporting them to the table) but I did not see anything about a warning for the defender reaching across the throw-in plane (and not touching the ball or player) during a throw-in.

Is there a warning for this in college as there is in NFHS?

Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
I have just started looking through the NCAA rule book. I found the section for warnings (what they are and reporting them to the table) but I did not see anything about a warning for the defender reaching across the throw-in plane (and not touching the ball or player) during a throw-in.

Thanks in advance.
No.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1

Thanks in advance.
No.
NO.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

no-don't warn because it is a T right away? or no don't warn because you can do that in college?
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

a bit longwinded, but hopefully helpful

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
no-don't warn because it is a T right away? or no don't warn because you can do that in college?
There was a thread a few months ago in which Chuck and I discussed this issue. We showed there that while there are certain official warnings in NCAA play they are handled a little bit differently from the NFHS system.

For example, some official warnings are listed in 10-3-1:

BR-137 RULE 10-3/FOULS AND PENALTIES
Section 3. Indirect Technical Fouls
The following shall result in an indirect technical foul to be charged to a team (coach), player or, in the case of a substitution, to that individual.
Art. 1. Delay of game. A team shall not delay the game. Delay of the game shall include, when the game clock is not running:
a. Consuming a full minute by not being ready when it is time to start either half or any extra period;
b. Failure to supply scorers with data per Rule 3-3;
c. Repeatedly delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly put in play, such as delaying the administration of a throw-in or free throw by engaging in a team huddle any place on the playing court.
1. One warning shall be given to a team that fails to comply; an indirect technical foul shall be assessed thereafter.
d. Failing to remove chairs/stools immediately after the warning signal of any timeout and to complete cleanup before the final warning signal alerts all personnel that play is going to resume.
1. One warning shall be given to a team that fails to comply; an indirect technical foul shall be assessed thereafter.

However, the specific play that you are inquiring about seems to be a judgment call and is governed by the following rule:

BR-140 RULE 10-3/FOULS AND PENALTIES
Art. 20. Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play. This shall also apply to bench personnel.
a. When the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be
ignored and play shall be continued or be resumed at the
point of interruption.
A.R. 8. After a field goal by B1 with two minutes left to play: (a) B2 reaches through the end-line plane and slaps the ball from the hands of A1 or touches the ball as it is
passed along the end line after the score; or (b) after a warning, B2 prevents the ball from being promptly put in play by slapping the ball away. RULING: In (a) and (b),
an indirect technical foul shall be charged to B2 for delaying the game. When A1, in making the throw-in, reaches through the end-line plane into the playing court and
B1 slaps the ball from the hands of A1, without B1 breaking the plane above the end line, B1 has not committed a violation because the ball is in play once it crosses the
end line.

So if the violation doesn't interfere you have nothing to call, but if it does then the official needs to call an indirect T, as there doesn't seem to be an official warning for this action listed.

This makes sense when coupled with the slight variation in the NCAA rule on breaking the plane. In NFHS the restriction on the defender ends when the ball is released on the throw-in pass (so the defender could legally hit the ball on the OOB side of the plane if he had waited until the pass was released before reaching across), but in NCAA rules the defender must wait until the ball breaks the plane to touch it. Therefore it is much clearer if the defender interferes with the throw-in.

NCAA RULE
BR-129 RULE 9-5/VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES
Section 5. Throw-in
Art. 5 The opponents of the thrower-in shall not have any part of their person beyond the vertical inside plane of any boundary line before the ball has crossed that boundary line.

NFHS RULE
RULE 9
SECTION 2 THROW-IN PROVISIONS
ART. 11. . . The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.