The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What did you learn at camp? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21520-what-did-you-learn-camp.html)

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Jul 28, 2005 06:21pm

What's the most worthless thing you learned at camp this summer?

rainmaker Thu Jul 28, 2005 08:27pm

I didn't learn anything at all this year, because I didn't go...

...although if you include the clinics I organized (and worked at) this spring, I'd say the most worthless thing I learned was How to work with a college student who is subbing for a ref. That's not a skill that needs to be known...

mick Thu Jul 28, 2005 08:37pm

Ooh! I know that answer!

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
I didn't learn anything at all this year, because I didn't go...

...although if you include the clinics I organized (and worked at) this spring, I'd say the most worthless thing I learned was <font color = maroon>How to work with a college student who is subbing for a ref.</font> That's not a skill that needs to be known...

Jewel,
Smile a lot.
Switch a lot.
mick

M&M Guy Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:12am

I also learned not to carry food in your pockets while you're on the court.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by M&M Guy
I also learned not to carry food in your pockets while you're on the court.
Agreed.

You should always carry food in your hand(s). That's the main reason that the mechanic for number reporting on a foul in NFHS and NCAA mechanics is one-handed also.

It is very important too that you're very careful with two-handed signals like "traveling". You don't want to spill something-like your nachos or popcorn- on the court.

IREFU2 Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:32am

I just got back from Las Vegas at Phil Robinson camp and I leard a whole lot of stuff. This was a SEC sanctioned camp and we had 2 hours of classroom time along with the court time. The one thing that stuck with me was -

RSBQ

When it comes to fouls, there are 4 things you should consider

Rythm
Speed
Balance
Quickness

If any other these affect the shooter, then we have a foul. Just my two cents.

JRutledge Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:36am

You liked that advice so good you posted this 3 times. :D

Peace

Mark Dexter Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2

When it comes to fouls, there are 4 things you should consider

Rythm
Speed
Balance
Quickness

If any other these affect the shooter, then we have a foul. Just my two cents.

Don't tell the NBA guys that you consider this stuff worthless! Or, for that matter, anyone who works in the . . . wait for it . . . SEC!

IREFU2 Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:28pm

Not at all, all the information was great! Gave me a whole new outlook on Refereeing...

Jurassic Referee Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
Not at all, all the information was great! Gave me a whole new outlook on Refereeing...
Um....did you..uh.. maybe happen to notice that the question asked in this thread was "What's the most <b>worthless</b> thing that you learned at camp this summer?".

M&M Guy Fri Jul 29, 2005 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

You should always carry food in your hand(s). That's the main reason that the mechanic for number reporting on a foul in NFHS and NCAA mechanics is one-handed also.

Well, damn; there goes my chance to eat during a NCAA-W's game. They are going to the two-handed reporting technique this year. So, what do I do with my burger now?

Jurassic Referee Fri Jul 29, 2005 01:25pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Well, damn; there goes my chance to eat during a NCAA-W's game. They are going to the two-handed reporting technique this year. <font color = red>So, what do I do with my burger now?</font>

Well, you can.......

Nooooooo, better not.....:D

M&M Guy Fri Jul 29, 2005 01:27pm

You don't know how close I came to asking what hand I should keep my hot dog in. But, I changed it to burger to keep this board PG-rated. Glad to see you're doing the same. :D

That was one of the other useless things I learned in camp.

Mark Dexter Fri Jul 29, 2005 01:39pm

Quote:

So, what do I do with my burger now?
Give it to your friendly table crew. I just can't guarantee that you'll get it back . . .

M&M Guy Fri Jul 29, 2005 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Give it to your friendly table crew. I just can't guarantee that you'll get it back . . .
Come to think of it - table crews are the source of the problem. They're always munching on something while we're doing all this important work out on the floor. ;) So, it seems to me it's only fair we get to munch on the floor as well...

And, in case poor Whistles & Stripes thinks we've hijacked this thread, that is something I learned at camp - how to patiently wait for the table crew to put down their popcorn and pick up the pencil to write down the foul. :rolleyes:

:D