The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 03, 2000, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

A1, bless his/her soul, lifts the pivot foot and passes before returning the foot to the floor. Howls ripple from the crowd and coaches bench preaching for the traveling call. Sound familiar? Do you ever get the urge to call this traveling just the shut the "know-it-alls up"? Is it typical for this to be an irritant to a first year official like myself?
Old Mon Jan 03, 2000, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Zone 23, if the NBA,NCAA and the NHSF thought that it would be better for the referee's to be in the stands, they would have done it a long time ago.
You make or do not make the call as you see it. Do not let the crowd, coaches or players influence you. It is easy to say but if you work at it, soon you won't "listen" to those goofs.
Good Luck
Old Tue Jan 04, 2000, 01:02am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by Zone23 on 01-03-2000 07:31 PM
Is it typical for this to be an irritant to a first year official like myself?

Yes, it is. But whenever the crowd starts to get to you about your calls, just remember what I learned at a clinic almost 20 years ago. It's still good advice.

There may be someone in the stands who knows more about the game of basketball than you, after all, John Wooden might be up there.

But - there is nobody in that gym, on that day, at that time, who knows more about how that particular game should be CALLED than you (and your partner).

Being a passenger 1000 times doesn't mean you know how to fly the plane.

To answer another one of your questions: NEVER, NEVER make the wrong call just to satisfy the fans. I don't think I even need to go into a reason for this. If I do, you're in the wrong profession.

BTW - a coach tonight actually said "Jeez Louise" to me when he wanted me to call a foul. I almost said "23 skidoo" back to him.