The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   is the basket good or is the ball dead (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21429-basket-good-ball-dead.html)

readingofficial Sat Jul 23, 2005 03:43pm

A1 has released the ball, while the ball is in the air , A2 fouls B2. Then the ball goes in. Does the basket count, or does the ball become dead right away and no basket.

canuckrefguy Sat Jul 23, 2005 03:48pm

Count it.

ChuckElias Sat Jul 23, 2005 04:37pm

It is very important to know when the ball is live and when it becomes dead. You might consider reviewing Rule 6, which covers this. But in answer to your specific question, you want to look at 6-7, Exception #1. I hope that helps.

refnrev Sat Jul 23, 2005 06:24pm

Reading, Welcome aboard, but one question -- is it reading -- as in reading a book or reading, as in the Railroad or city in PA? Inquiring minds want to know.

As for your question, count the bucket. Had this been a charge on A1 you'd have a different story.

readingofficial Sat Jul 23, 2005 08:45pm

Reading as in the City of Reading, which was known for the Reading Railroad. We no longer have the Reading Railroad, but still on the game board. Thanks for the info

Mark Padgett Sat Jul 23, 2005 08:52pm

I'm not positive but I think I remember a movie in which someone in the stands shot the ball while it was in the air on its way to the hoop.

Boy - talk about a "dead ball".

canuckrefguy Sat Jul 23, 2005 09:05pm

It must have been a truly deflating moment....

jbduke Sun Jul 24, 2005 02:21am

Mark,

I don't know why, because I couldn't have been more than five or six when that episode of Hill Street Blues came on in the early 80s. I believe the cops were playing some jail inmates in a local school gym. I don't remember why the spectator shot the ball, but my guess is that it involved gambling. Good times.

jb

jbduke Sun Jul 24, 2005 02:27am

Hill Street Blues Update:

The cops were playing a pick-up game with some gang members. Episode's title was "Personal Foul," and it first aired 3/25/82. I was six. I really loved basketball.

Rizzo21 Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:07pm

New referee here and did my very first "clinic" this past weekend, complete with evaluators and all the related advice. One of the games I did (after the evaluators went home) involved this very same situation. I was Lead in a 2-man, shot went up by A1, A2 shoved B1. Ball then went through the hoop. I whistled the foul and, using a wild guess, counted the basket and nobody complained.

Thanks for citing the rule. I will review it so I can back it up next time it happens.

By the way, I'm hooked!

JRutledge Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jbduke
Hill Street Blues Update:

The cops were playing a pick-up game with some gang members. Episode's title was "Personal Foul," and it first aired 3/25/82. I was six. I really loved basketball.

I remember that episode. How did you get the actual date? I loved that show.

Peace

Back In The Saddle Mon Jul 25, 2005 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rizzo21
New referee here and did my very first "clinic" this past weekend, complete with evaluators and all the related advice. One of the games I did (after the evaluators went home) involved this very same situation. I was Lead in a 2-man, shot went up by A1, A2 shoved B1. Ball then went through the hoop. I whistled the foul and, using a wild guess, counted the basket and nobody complained.

Thanks for citing the rule. I will review it so I can back it up next time it happens.

By the way, I'm hooked!

Welcome to the wonderful world of officiating.

Nevadaref Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:25am

Quote:

By the way, I'm hooked!

Yes. Good call. Now did you remember to allow Team B to run the end line for the ensuing throw-in?

Rizzo21 Tue Jul 26, 2005 07:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

By the way, I'm hooked!

Yes. Good call. Now did you remember to allow Team B to run the end line for the ensuing throw-in?

No, I wasn't that lucky/on top of things to remember that. I prepared for the weekend with extensive study in the Rules/Manual/Case Book, however, it doesn't mean much until you really experience it. Now I can go back to the books and it will be much more meaningful.

The three biggest things I learned from the advice given were:

1) Patient Whistle - I called too many ticky-tack fouls early but after some pointers I learned to watch the entire beginning, middle and end (of plays) and advantage/disadvantage. Things went much more smoothly after that.

2) Positioning - Did both 2-man and 3-man. I'm sure I will start out at a level that is mostly 2-man but once I got the hang of it, 3-man felt great!

3) Finding the competitive match-up in your primary (especially when off-ball).

Had a big "ooops" with a travelling call on a jump stop (the coach roared). Gotta bone up on that play a little.

refnrev Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:17pm

Welcome aboard, Rizzo. Glad you're hooked like we're all hooked. Sounds like a good outing for you. How many inadevertent whistles did you have?

Rizzo21 Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by refnrev
Welcome aboard, Rizzo. Glad you're hooked like we're all hooked. Sounds like a good outing for you. How many inadevertent whistles did you have?
I'm assuming an "inadvertant whistle" is one in which we say to ourselves "oops, there was nothing there, why did I blow this?". I don't recall any really. After the first game, when the evaluator emphasized the "patient whistle", I really made sure there was something there before blowing it.

Now that I think of it, there was an instance where I was Center and the Trail called over-and-back from a frontcourt throw-in that was touched by A1 but never under control until she grabbed it in the backcourt. I kept my mouth shut (probably wisely) but after the game, the evaluator mentioned to the Trail that if another official (as I did) saw this, have a huddle, break out and rule "inadvertant whistle" and give it back to the offense.

One mechanic I consistently failed was not staying open when signaling direction. I was told I should always stay "open" to the players when signalling. I'll get the hang of it.

Mark Dexter Fri Jul 29, 2005 01:45pm

Quote:

Now that I think of it, there was an instance where I was Center and the Trail called over-and-back from a frontcourt throw-in that was touched by A1 but never under control until she grabbed it in the backcourt. I kept my mouth shut (probably wisely) but after the game, the evaluator mentioned to the Trail that if another official (as I did) saw this, have a huddle, break out and rule "inadvertant whistle" and give it back to the offense.

Interesting . . .

I'd be careful with going to a partner for something like this - "control" can be in the eye of the beholder, and I wouldn't call a huddle unless it was blatantly not controlled by A1 in the frontcourt.

If I have something obvious (a tip, blatant control/no control, etc.) then I'll bring it up right then.

Do what your local association/the camp you're attending wants you to do, I guess.

Camron Rust Fri Jul 29, 2005 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Interesting . . .

I'd be careful with going to a partner for something like this - "control" can be in the eye of the beholder, and I wouldn't call a huddle unless it was blatantly not controlled by A1 in the frontcourt.

If I have something obvious (a tip, blatant control/no control, etc.) then I'll bring it up right then.

Do what your local association/the camp you're attending wants you to do, I guess.

I agree with the conference here (as I was instructed while being evaluated when exactly the same thing occured).

Some uncommon situations just take knowledge that is split between the two officials.

The worst that can happen is that you change nothing and the game continues.

TravelinMan Fri Jul 29, 2005 07:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jbduke
Mark,

I don't know why, because I couldn't have been more than five or six when that episode of Hill Street Blues came on in the early 80s. I believe the cops were playing some jail inmates in a local school gym. I don't remember why the spectator shot the ball, but my guess is that it involved gambling. Good times.

jb

Yes, and the cops had Michael Warren. Not bad! Of course, he was known as Mike Warren in his college days and played on that great UCLA team with Big Lew. What a backcourt - Warren and Lucius Allen.