The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   whistle (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21418-whistle.html)

readingofficial Fri Jul 22, 2005 04:30pm

I remember seeing a whistle that had alittle flap on it to help with possession. But now that I am trying to find it again in a few different books, I have had no luck. Does anyone know where I could find the whistle.

ChuckElias Fri Jul 22, 2005 04:52pm

I don't know where you could find it, but my advice is to forget about it anyway. Keep the arrow in your head. It's not that hard, and you'll learn it pretty quickly. Instead of counting "one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two" for your backcourt and closely guarded counts, try "red-arrow-one, red-arrow-two. . ." You won't need an extra whistle, or rubber band, or flap on your whistle.

Good luck!

Jurassic Referee Fri Jul 22, 2005 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I don't know where you could find it, but my advice is to forget about it anyway. Keep the arrow in your head. It's not that hard, and you'll learn it pretty quickly. Instead of counting "one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two" for your backcourt and closely guarded counts, try "red-arrow-one, red-arrow-two. . ." You won't need an extra whistle, or rubber band, or flap on your whistle.

Good luck!

Yabut.....whatdoyado when blue and white are playing? :confused:

ChiliBob Fri Jul 22, 2005 06:42pm

I have seen this whistle you speak of. I do not know if they are manufactured anymore. If I recall, our association members had some interest in them a couple years back and when we looked into it I believe we discovered they were discontinued. Maybe not though. The official I know that used it really liked it as opposed to switching whistles in and out of pockets, using a rubber band or wrist band switching between wrists etc.

Personally I use an old plastic sock hanger that slips right over the waist line of my pants and I just can slide it from side to side unnoticed.

ChuckElias Fri Jul 22, 2005 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Wise guy, eh?!?! Why I oughta. . .

Jurassic Referee Fri Jul 22, 2005 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChiliBob

Personally I use an old plastic sock hanger that slips right over the waist line of my pants and I just can slide it from side to side unnoticed.

Is that an old plastic sock hanger in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

26 Year Gap Fri Jul 22, 2005 07:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Wise guy, eh?!?! Why I oughta. . .

I am wearing a t-shirt right now of Moe saying "Why I oughta!"

readingofficial Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:40am

Thanks for the advice guys , I really do have trouble remembering when I am officiating who's ball it is, but if I am stitting there and watching , I can keep track.

JugglingReferee Sat Jul 23, 2005 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by readingofficial
Thanks for the advice guys , I really do have trouble remembering when I am officiating who's ball it is, but if I am stitting there and watching , I can keep track.
When then... sit next to the coaches and officiate from there. You should have no problem remembering the arrow, and have the best look at each play.

brainbrian Sat Jul 23, 2005 02:27pm

I take my spare whistle and put it in my pocket. Some do is based on home/visitor, but personally, I do it based on the direction of the basket as I face the table.

Every jump ball I just move the whistle from one pocket to the other, very simple.