The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 05, 2001, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

I hope there are some coaches and players or parents of basketball players of any level here that would help me.
i think i have asked this before on other boards, but didn't really get any reply

i'm about to get air alert II (going to order this weekend) and i would like to know if you guys ever used it and what your impressions are. sure, the testimonials are awesome at airalert.com but i just don't like to believe things until i see them

currently i have a vertical of 30 inches (that's what i think but my firends don't believe me! but if you think about it: i can touch 6'11 or 7'0 standing and puting my hand up. i can touch 9'5 usually, well, 9'3 for sure as i can actually dunk on 9'5 if i run from straight on, not from the side, and grab on to it on my good days. i can't do that from just standing position though, i have to run - take about 5 steps or so, and that comes out to be just about 28-30")

i hope i can grab on to regulation-height rim/dunk on it by winter (bball season). in fact, i have sort of a bet w/ my friends about it.

what do you know about air alert II? have you or your players or your friends used it? what can you tell me (good and bad things).

thanks!
Old Thu Apr 05, 2001, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Well, for $20 US it might be worth a try. Let us know
how it goes but being a dinosaur I'm doubtful you can
significantly increase your vertical without some weight
training like calf raises, squats & leg curls. And while you're in the weight room might as well do some
bench & military presses to bulk up that upper body
Good luck!

http://www.airalert.com/airalert.html
Old Thu Apr 05, 2001, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let us know
how it goes but being a dinosaur I'm doubtful you can
significantly increase your vertical without some weight
training like calf raises, squats & leg curls
that's what i was thinking too. it uses your own body weight so i guess it's kind of like doing lunges w/o a bar (which does work me if i go for 30+ yards actually) i'll give it a try though as it's only 30 bucks
and i'll keep you guys updated so you will know if it works and if you should get it for yourself/your kids/your players
Old Thu Apr 05, 2001, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilya
i can't do that from just standing position though, i have to run - take about 5 steps or so, and that comes out to be just about 28-30")
I believe that the folks who put any stock into vertical jumps, measure the the jump from a standing still position. That's the true measure of what your vertical jump is, not what you can do running. That's probably why your friends don't believe you.

Quote:
i hope i can grab on to regulation-height rim/dunk on it by winter (bball season). in fact, i have sort of a bet w/ my friends about it.
Don't make that your goal in life.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Apr 06, 2001, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe that the folks who put any stock into vertical jumps, measure the the jump from a standing still position.
yeah i know that.. but if i just stand still i can get like 2-3 inches lower (around 9'2 probably)
Quote:
That's the true measure of what your vertical jump is, not what you can do running. That's probably why your friends don't believe you.
no, they just don't thik i can jump at all cuz i'm like 5'6 115 lbs. i'm skinny

Quote:
Don't make that your goal in life. [/B][/QUOTE]
oh no! that's the goal by about the end of summer or fall
that's it

thanks!