The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 21, 2005, 05:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

I was at the bank this afternoon and the guy in front of me was David Lucas. David was a star player at Oregon State this season and is the son of former NBA star Maurice Lucas. He recognized me, since I have reffed him in the past.

He reminded me of a youth rec game I was working when his older brother, Maurice Jr. (nicknamed Reece) was playing. This was about 12 years ago when David was about 7. David was sitting with his mother and kept yelling whenever the opposing team would shoot a free throw. I went over and told him to be quiet and his mom gave him a lecture on sportmanship.

He told me he remembered the incident and his brother still teases him about it sometimes.

Man - did he get big since he was 7!
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Man - did he get big since he was 7!
Now the real question - did you also get big since he was 7?

It's fun running into players and coaches who remember you. It always scares me that a former player player will come up to me and say, "Yea, I remember you - you're the one who cost us that game back in '92". It hasn't happened yet. But it is nice to get those warm fuzzy compliments; knowing you had touched a kid's life somewhere. I would think it's the same feeling teachers get when they see former students. The part that bothers me is seeing players and coaches outside the gym and I don't recognize them, because it's "out of context" of the game, gym, and school. Maybe that's not an issue with kids who are as big as the Lucas's!

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Thumbs up

When I was doing intramural games in college, I got recognized at a party one time. Guy comes up to me and says, "Hey, your're that ref." I'm thinking, "Great, I'm in the basement of a frat house, and this guy knows I'm a ref, this ins't gonna be pretty." Next thing he says is about how great a job I do, and how he likes having me on the games. It was pretty cool. Although I imagine that the little red plastic cup full of Natural Light that he was carrying probably augmented his friendliness.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
Natural Light
Sunshine? Lightning?
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
Natural Light
Sunshine? Lightning?
"The champagne of beers"

Oh wait that is Miller High Life

Well its about the same anyways

That has happened to me too. The guy wasn't too pleased with me and he blamed me for the loss. Team probably lost by 30 anyways. But it was my house and my basement, so he went on his way. HAHA