The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Three New Stupid Coach Remarks (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/20939-three-new-stupid-coach-remarks.html)

rainmaker Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:28pm

1. "There's three players hitting the ball, and she's not calling a foul?"

2. "There's no continuation in high school ball! No there's not! There's no continuation in high school!"

3. "It's legal to chin the ball! She can have her elbows out!"
"It's legal until there's contact, coach"
"No, they changed that rule. It's legal now!"

All I could say to this last one was "Wow!"

Jurassic Referee Mon Jun 20, 2005 01:54am

Is the coach classy though?

If s/he is, then it's OK. :D

ChrisSportsFan Mon Jun 20, 2005 08:24am

At camp this weekend, I'm watching a game and my buddy has a 5 second count that he probably gave the kid 6-7 seconds on. Coach starts yelling...."he broke the plane".

I had a kid catch the ball in triple threat, do a quick shuffle and drive the lane, tweet and I signal a travel violation. Coach starts yelling...."but he had posession".

stmaryrams Mon Jun 20, 2005 09:11am

Was doing game 13 of 14 this weekend, legs about dead at this point and a very friendly coach mentioned "you'd better have your track shoes on" as he planned on having his kids push it the whole game.

I replied that "it's all about angles at this point even if they beat me down the court. I can still call a foul from midcourt, coaches do it all the time." He got a good chuckle out of that one.

Mark Padgett Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

" There's no continuation in high school!"

If there's no continuation in high school, then everyone would always be a freshman.

stmaryrams Mon Jun 20, 2005 01:01pm

Each year we get older and High School players are the same age!

SeanFitzRef Mon Jun 20, 2005 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by stmaryrams
Each year we get older and High School players are the same age!
...But the coaches all regress a year until they are only infants! :D

rainmaker Mon Jun 20, 2005 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by stmaryrams
I replied that "it's all about angles at this point even if they beat me down the court. I can still call a foul from midcourt, coaches do it all the time." He got a good chuckle out of that one.
I like that one!

26 Year Gap Mon Jun 20, 2005 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

" There's no continuation in high school!"

If there's no continuation in high school, then everyone would always be a freshman.

But wouldn't THAT be considered continuation?

tjones1 Mon Jun 20, 2005 05:40pm

There must be a few rule changes that they haven't posted yet. :)

26 Year Gap Mon Jun 20, 2005 07:56pm

This was from the players as they were lining up for a free throw by their opponent...."We can have our foot on the block. It is a new rule this year."
ME: "It is in college, but not here. You need to move your feet off the block." [Both inside guys were doing this]
Of course, they moved their feet right back and their opponent had a chance to redeem himself for the missed FT, which he did.

reffish Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:06pm

Doing high school summer league, had player dive onto leg of opponent and push him down. Tweet!! Coach jumps up and tells me that other kid did not have possesion of ball, so how could I call a foul on his player. Sigh, okay coach, a foul is a foul, no matter who has or doesn't have the ball. No response.

rainmaker Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by reffish
Doing high school summer league, had player dive onto leg of opponent and push him down. Tweet!! Coach jumps up and tells me that other kid did not have possesion of ball, so how could I call a foul on his player. Sigh, okay coach, a foul is a foul, no matter who has or doesn't have the ball. No response.
"So, coach, is it okay for them to knock over your players who aren't holding the ball?"

reffish Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:46pm

Had another coach vent about my lack of calls against the other team, after I called several on that team that was pressing with a 20 point lead, when I called one PC on his player. Figured he needed to vent since his head was getting kicked in. I asked if he was finished, he stared off into space, his face clicked like a light bulb went off in his head, and started up saying that he wasn't getting a technical was because he was right, Whack!! Sit down coach. Oh the joy...