The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What do you do to get ready (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/20922-what-do-you-do-get-ready.html)

refnrev Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:25pm

So, what are all of you doing to get physically ready for the upcoming season? I'm walking 2.5 or 3 miles on the high school track a day, lifting weights at the local community college fitness center, swimming regularly at the Y, stretching several times a day and trying not to eat like a total hog every day. Just wondered what you guys and girls do to get ready?

Mark Padgett Sat Jun 18, 2005 01:20pm

I just washed all my socks.

And before you ask, I wear my fishnets dirty. It adds to the ambiance.

tjones1 Sat Jun 18, 2005 02:46pm

Well, currently that's what I should be doing, but I'm not. I plan on starting to run very soon to get into shape. Every morning at work, we have a group stretch so that helps a little.

[Edited by tjones1 on Jun 18th, 2005 at 03:59 PM]

brainbrian Sat Jun 18, 2005 04:05pm

Considering I'm only 18 I'm still pretty nimble. Nothing out of the ordinary really. I'm still currently refereeing and I ride my mountain bike a lot. (Just rode 7 miles of trail) And, as always, I eat my fair share of fruits, vegetables, and sugar.

Jurassic Referee Sat Jun 18, 2005 04:29pm

Currently I'm ingesting copious amounts of brownpop daily as part of my training regimen. You don't want to get out of shape in the off-season.

Like Brian I am also keeping up my nimbleness quotient too.

Impotence: Natures way of saying "No hard feelings"!

refnrev Sat Jun 18, 2005 06:49pm

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee You don't want to get out of shape in the off-season.
-----------------------------------------------------------
You are assuming, of course, that we're in shape during the season. You know what they say about assuming!

ChuckElias Sat Jun 18, 2005 06:56pm

Starting in September, I cut back on eating nachos to only twice a week.

zebraman Sat Jun 18, 2005 09:03pm

I stay in shape year-round with daily workouts that include weight training and cardio workouts of stationary bike or stairclimber. Then I just smile when all the other officials groan the first month of the season about how tired and sore they are. Good for you for staying in shape. It will pay off in the long run, not only on the court but in quality of life and longevity.

Z

canuckrefguy Sat Jun 18, 2005 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Currently I'm ingesting copious amounts of brownpop daily as part of my training regimen. You don't want to get out of shape in the off-season.
Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Starting in September, I cut back on eating nachos to only twice a week.
You can always count on the veterans for sound advice :D

rainmaker Sat Jun 18, 2005 09:28pm

The best way to stay in shape for the season, is to keep working. I manage to find some ball to do 10 months a year. In October, I step up the attention to mechanics, and "season" judgment.

Mark Padgett Sun Jun 19, 2005 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
The best way to stay in shape for the season, is to keep working. I manage to find some ball to do 10 months a year. In October, I step up the attention to mechanics, and "season" judgment.
I just want to put in my two cents worth about Juulie. In my long (some say too long) career, I have met literally over 1000 referees. I don't think I can name anyone who is as totally dedicated to be the best more than Juulie. This young lady works harder and has more focus than you can possibly imagine. Years ago, I worked a rec game with her that was one of the first games she ever worked. She impressed me most with the quality of questions she asked, and her ability to accept every comment as positive criticism and motivation. I knew right then she was a winner.

I'm not posting this for any reason other than my belief that she deserves it.

Juulie - keep up the good work. I know I'll see you on television working an NBA game someday (although I'll have the volume turned off if Dick Vitale is doing the commentary).

rainmaker Sun Jun 19, 2005 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
I just want to put in my two cents worth about Juulie. In my long (some say too long) career, I have met literally over 1000 referees. I don't think I can name anyone who is as totally dedicated to be the best more than Juulie. This young lady works harder and has more focus than you can possibly imagine. Years ago, I worked a rec game with her that was one of the first games she ever worked. She impressed me most with the quality of questions she asked, and her ability to accept every comment as positive criticism and motivation. I knew right then she was a winner.

I'm not posting this for any reason other than my belief that she deserves it.

Juulie - keep up the good work. I know I'll see you on television working an NBA game someday (although I'll have the volume turned off if Dick Vitale is doing the commentary).

Somebody find this guy his meds!!

refnrev Tue Jun 21, 2005 04:18pm

Juulie,
Why get his meds. You got some pretty good bragging on! By the way, just curious... he's not stalking you or anything is he?

zebraman Tue Jun 21, 2005 04:29pm

I think I just saw Padgett on the Oprah show raving about Julie and jumping up on the couch as he expressed his love for her. :D

Z

refnrev Tue Jun 21, 2005 04:31pm

Z,
Sounds like a case for Dr. Phil instead of Oprah! RR