The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First Half notes/observations (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/2092-first-half-notes-observations.html)

Mark Dexter Mon Apr 02, 2001 09:09pm

(1) One of the announcers said "other than the Duke fans, everyone here is an Arizona fan." I know he was trying to say that the "neutral" people generally favored AZ, but did he sound stupid saying it.

(2) In relation to a thread from a few weeks ago, there was an airball-OOB situation where the Shot Clock showed zero, but there was no horn.

Danvrapp Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:34pm

I noted the Duke quote, myself. I thought it kind of funny, but I knew what he was trying to say! I thought that the officials did a much better job in tonight's game than the MD/Duke game, but who am I to judge!

There was one play, however, that I thought looked iffy. Battier had one of his blocks and then saved the ball on the baseline, but not before what looked like the ball landed right on the line. Did anyone else see that? They only showed the replay once, but the ball looked to hit right on the line. The official was right on top of it, though. Great game.

BktBallRef Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:46pm

I agree. From the replay, the ball definitely landed directly on the endline. It's difficult to blame the official for missing it though. At the time, he was watching the block, which was completely clean and the resulting fall by the shooter.

johnSandlin Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:55pm

reply to first half

I thought the first half went well. In regards to out of bounds situation to refered to here. I remember the play well and the shot clock horn malfunctioned. Other then that a very good first half.

johnSandlin Mon Apr 02, 2001 10:58pm

reply to first half

I thought the first half went well. In regards to the out of bounds situation being refered to here. I remember the play well and the shot clock horn malfunctioned. Other then that a very good first half.

mikesears Tue Apr 03, 2001 07:22am

Both teams had their moments where they were totally out of control and I thought the officials did an excellent job of maintaining consistency from start to finish.

Great game!

dhodges007 Tue Apr 03, 2001 09:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by Danvrapp

There was one play, however, that I thought looked iffy. Battier had one of his blocks and then saved the ball on the baseline, but not before what looked like the ball landed right on the line. Did anyone else see that? They only showed the replay once, but the ball looked to hit right on the line. The official was right on top of it, though. Great game.

I disagree, I saw that play and was curious if the ball did in fact go out, when the replay came back on I noticed that the ball was right in front of the line with his foot in the air about to step on the line. I say good no-call by the official.

BktBallRef Tue Apr 03, 2001 09:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by dhodges007
I disagree, I saw that play and was curious if the ball did in fact go out, when the replay came back on I noticed that the ball was right in front of the line with his foot in the air about to step on the line. I say good no-call by the official.
I saw just the opposite. The ball definitely hit the endline when it bounced on the floor. :)

dhodges007 Tue Apr 03, 2001 09:51am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

I saw just the opposite. The ball definitely hit the endline when it bounced on the floor. :)

So we agree to disagree! :D

Danvrapp Tue Apr 03, 2001 09:57am

<html>
Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

So we agree to disagree! :D

Well....you <b>are</b> both officials!!!</html>

dhodges007 Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:37am

I would like to see that play again. I have been known to resend my opinion now and again.

Mark Dexter Tue Apr 03, 2001 03:58pm

I thought I saw the ball IB, and Battier's foot OOB.

Everyone's a critic . . .

dhodges007 Wed Apr 04, 2001 04:49pm

I didn't get a good look at his foot, but I agree with you about the ball. I thought his foot looked like it was out on the replay, but the L was right there... I would hope he would call that.

BktBallRef Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:19pm

Just goes to show how several people can llok at the same play and see something different.