The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officials for Final Four & Championship Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/2081-officials-final-four-championship-game.html)

Ref42 Sat Mar 31, 2001 10:34am

Michigan St. vs Arizona
Officials: Mark Reischling, Robert(Bob) Donato, Ted Hillary

Maryland vs Duke
Officials: Tim Higgins*, Tony Greene, Dave Libbey

*Side Note: Tim Higgins refereed the first MD vs Duke game at Cole Fieldhouse, when MD lost the game in overtime after giving up 10 points in the last minute. Gary Williams after the game wanted to comment on the officiating, but refrained. This ought to be interesting

Championship Game (Monday Night)
Officials: Gerald Boudreaux, Scott Thornley, Ed Corbett

Ref42 Sat Mar 31, 2001 11:12am

By the way these aren't guesses, these will be the correct officials on the games! Comes from a very reliable D-1 official source.

johnSandlin Sat Mar 31, 2001 11:31am

ref42,

Thank you for the information. Well appreciated.

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 31, 2001 12:16pm

Aren't the officials supposed to be kept secret until game time?

Ref42 Sat Mar 31, 2001 01:13pm

Mark,

That's what I believe too, but remember these guys all talk to each other and my information is coming from someone who made it to the Elite 8 and knows most of these guys pretty good.

JRutledge Sat Mar 31, 2001 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref42
Michigan St. vs Arizona

Maryland vs Duke

*Side Note: Tim Higgins refereed the first MD vs Duke game at Cole Fieldhouse, when MD lost the game in overtime after giving up 10 points in the last minute. Gary Williams after the game wanted to comment on the officiating, but refrained. This ought to be interesting

This is totally incorrect. Tim Higgins did the Michigan St./Arizona game, and those were not his partners.

BktBallRef Sat Mar 31, 2001 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Michigan St. vs Arizona

Maryland vs Duke

This is totally incorrect. Tim Higgins did the Michigan St./Arizona game, and those were not his partners.

Not totally incorrect, Rut. Dave Libbey did work the Duke game and Bob Donato worked the Arizona game.

Ref42 Sun Apr 01, 2001 10:10am

Hey Rut, The Names Were Right, They Just Switch Games!!

Look at all the names they all worked last night, they just switched Tim Higgins & Tony Greene from the MD game and put Ted Hillary and Mark Reischling on the game. The other thing is as I noted I was already suprised that Tim Higgins was put on the Maryland game since he was involved in one of their previous games. Please also note that I may not have noted it, but Tony Greene is an SEC official and with the new ACC/SEC combined officiating crew it was strange to see him put on the MD game. Also if you checked out Gary's McGriff's board, you will see that someone talked to Scott Thornley who is doing the championship game and he also verified the information I had given as the officials doing the games before the games occurred last night. So it appears that the NCAA/Hank Nichols made a little switch last night. Why? I believe it is they try to keep guys who the teams normally see during the year or are associated with their conferences on opposite games in the national semi's. They have no choice in the championship because it's only one game and the officials are pre-determined. Now why wasn't this originally done, I don't know, call Hank!

JRutledge Sun Apr 01, 2001 09:01pm

Re: You do not read very well.

Quote:

Look at all the names they all worked last night, they just switched Tim Higgins & Tony Greene from the MD game and put Ted Hillary and Mark Reischling on the game. The other thing is as I noted I was already suprised that Tim Higgins was put on the Maryland game since he was involved in one of their previous games. Please also note that I may not have noted it, but Tony Greene is an SEC official and with the new ACC/SEC combined officiating crew it was strange to see him put on the MD game. Also if you checked out Gary's McGriff's board, you will see that someone talked to Scott Thornley who is doing the championship game and he also verified the information I had given as the officials doing the games before the games occurred last night. So it appears that the NCAA/Hank Nichols made a little switch last night. Why? I believe it is they try to keep guys who the teams normally see during the year or are associated with their conferences on opposite games in the national semi's. They have no choice in the championship because it's only one game and the officials are pre-determined. Now why wasn't this originally done, I don't know, call Hank!
I did not say that the officials were not the officials working, I said they were not the one doing the particular game you suggested. You got the names correct, but I am not the one claiming the inside information either.

Peace.

Ref42 Mon Apr 02, 2001 07:14am

"This is totally incorrect. Tim Higgins did the Michigan St./Arizona game, and those were not his partners. "

Your words "Totally Incorrect", what does that mean then? What part of the word "Totally" are you saying meant "I did not say that the officials were not the officials working".

Seems to me you have a little of the inconsistency disease that the MD/Duke officials had?

JRutledge Mon Apr 02, 2001 12:38pm

Well........

Quote:

"This is totally incorrect. Tim Higgins did the Michigan St./Arizona game, and those were not his partners. "

Your words "Totally Incorrect", what does that mean then? What part of the word "Totally" are you saying meant "I did not say that the officials were not the officials working".

Seems to me you have a little of the inconsistency disease that the MD/Duke officials had?

Were the officials not the ones that did the game that were stated here. It still is totally incorrect if what was stated is wrong. It does not matter that the officials were correct, but if you have the wrong game and who worked together, it seems pretty incorrect to me. But again, I am not the one trying to act like I had the "Inside Stuff." :rolleyes:

I have one last question, did you come here to name drop or did you come here to give information. I really do not think it really matters who did what and when, you are so caught up on the fact that you had who was doing the game, you messed up. You did not get it right, you did not have the correct games right, and you did not have the right partners. All you seemed to do was have the officials (so far) that were doing the tournament, after that you got it all wrong.

Just a thought

[Edited by JRutledge on Apr 2nd, 2001 at 12:43 PM]

dhodges007 Mon Apr 02, 2001 04:00pm

I have never seen the rolling eyes before. That was just too cool.