The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

hate to be too critical, but i thought this group had a rough game: several questionable calls; some seemingly obvious ones not called. i didnt get the feeling that they completely trusted one another- middle and trail seemed to be working the same area quite often. what did you see?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Duke/MD

I wonder whether the referees of this game would be more willing to admit they fixed this game than admit they called it as bad as they did. Just like Billy Packer they fell victim to the Duke Blue Devils. I could cite so many awful calls this crew made. To take Baxter out of the game on such a shady call is bogus. Yes, as the old cliche goes, the officials unfortunately decided this game. Thanks!
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Typical ACC fan who doesn't pull for Duke or Carolina

Quote:
Originally posted by pbmoon28
I wonder whether the referees of this game would be more willing to admit they fixed this game than admit they called it as bad as they did. Just like Billy Packer they fell victim to the Duke Blue Devils. I could cite so many awful calls this crew made. To take Baxter out of the game on such a shady call is bogus. Yes, as the old cliche goes, the officials unfortunately decided this game. Thanks!

Maryland had their opportunites and didn't take advantage of them. I guess the officials accounted for Maryland shooting 34% from the field and 62% from the FT line in the second half. The probably also caused Maryland to turn the ball over 14 more times than Duke too. They even out rebounded Duke 50 to 34 and still couldn't win. No team should ever lose a game that they're up 22 points on.

You sound like a whining fan. $10 says you aren't an official. Go join the other whiners at http://www.accboards.com

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Duke/MD

Quote:
To take Baxter out of the game on such a shady call is bogus.
The refs did not take Baxter out of the game. They called a foul. It was a small contact, but gave Baxter a BIG advantage, and needed to be called. From the replay, it was obvious that Baxter was both pushing and holding with his elbows and Boozer was illegally taken out of the play. I can't see that this is shady. If Baxter had not already had four fouls, this one wouldn't have been his fifth. Were they all shady, too?
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

what made it look trivial was the next possession down the court the other way - big collision, two players on the floor, no whistle. my son asked me why such small contact was a foul but the big contact was not whistled. good point
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Re: Duke/MD

Quote:
I strongly disagree that the officials "decided the game" because they never do, but I do agree with you about the fifth foul on Baxter. On the replay he was definitely trying to gain position, but his actions didn't warrant a whistle. The fact that it was his fifth just adds salt to the wound.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 03:41am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Although the 5th foul Baxter was rather soft to question the integrity of Libbey's crew is ridiculous.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
what made it look trivial was the next possession down the court the other way - big collision, two players on the floor, no whistle. my son asked me why such small contact was a foul but the big contact was not whistled. good point
Um, if you recall there was a whistle and Maryland went and shot freethrows for it. There was just such a lapse in time that you may have forgotten why they shot them.

My two sense!
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Duke/Maryland officials reply

I hate to be critical myself, but after reading some comments on this forum I feel I have no choice. Ted Hillary is a good friend of mine and I think the people that is rakeing Ted, Dave Libbey, and Mark Reischling are not doing the right thing. Yes, this game did not go smoothly. But, I impose this question? Could any one us put together in a three man crew in such a profile game do any better? Just a food for thought.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 09:12am
In Memoriam

Re: Duke/Maryland officials reply

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
I hate to be critical myself, but after reading some comments on this forum I feel I have no choice. Ted Hillary is a good friend of mine and I think the people that is rakeing Ted, Dave Libbey, and Mark Reischling are not doing the right thing. Yes, this game did not go smoothly. But, I impose this question? Could any one us put together in a three man crew in such a profile game do any better? Just a food for thought.
I agree John,
Why beat up on a guy until you have driven 100 miles in his own Cadillac?
mick
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Typical ACC fan who doesn't pull for Duke or Carolina

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Maryland had their opportunites and didn't take advantage of them. I guess the officials accounted for Maryland shooting 34% from the field and 62% from the FT line in the second half. The probably also caused Maryland to turn the ball over 14 more times than Duke too. They even out rebounded Duke 50 to 34 and still couldn't win. No team should ever lose a game that they're up 22 points on.

You sound like a whining fan. $10 says you aren't an official. Go join the other whiners at http://www.accboards.com
What is your point? I was talking about the officiating and you're talking about statistics. Besides, in half of your reply, you're pointing out how poorly Maryland played and the other half you're talking about how they should have won because they outplayed Duke (by outrebounding them.) No I'm not an official but I have every right to make a comment here. Makes sense that you are considering you made no sense in your reply. No team that has a lead of 22 should lose? You're right there, unless the other team receives some help from the officials.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Typical ACC fan who doesn't pull for Duke or Carolina

Quote:

What is your point? I was talking about the officiating and you're talking about statistics. Besides, in half of your reply, you're pointing out how poorly Maryland played and the other half you're talking about how they should have won because they outplayed Duke (by outrebounding them.)
My point is that Maryland was up 22 points, outrebounded the Blue Devils for the game, yet played so poorly the last 20 minutes of the game that they deserved to lose. I cited the reasons they lost. You didn't. If the officials caused the Terps to lose, then list 10 things they did to make them lose. In your first post, you stated that the game was fixed by the officials. Are you really so stupid as to believe that?

Quote:
No I'm not an official but I have every right to make a comment here.
I stated that I knew you weren't an official because your comments are typical of a sour grapes fan. However, this board is for those who enjoy the avocation of officiating and those who have questions about officiating and the rules. Neither you nor I nor anyone else has a right to be here. The moderators of this forum own it and can kick any of us off at anytime. Start slamming and whining about the officials costing your team a win and I guarantee, they'll kick your butt out of here so fast you'll think you're Rasheed Wallace.

If you want to whine about officials, this is not the place to do it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

But, but, but . . . the First Amendement gives me freedom of speech - even on privately held discussion boards on the internet!!
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 09:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb First Amendment......

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
But, but, but . . . the First Amendement gives me freedom of speech - even on privately held discussion boards on the internet!!
only protects you against the government and the tyranny of the government because of what you say. It does not apply to this board or other places.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 10:42pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Thank you Mark & JRut for making the point (Mark was being sarcastic by the way Rut)...

This is not an officials bashing board... I agree with the sentiments expressed earlier - could you have officiated a better game?

Until I'm working the NCAA Championship Game, I think that I am going to refrain from critiquing the officials working the Semi-Final games.

I'm closing this before it gets ugly.
Closed Thread