The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pockets (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/20622-pockets.html)

rainmaker Tue May 31, 2005 12:06am

Is it legal for a player to play with his pockets hanging out? Worked a couple of games tonight where a player had his pockets turned inside out and hanging out to the sides. Can't think of any reason why it should be illegal, but I'm wondering what y'all think. Or if there's some weird interp in the case book that I havne't stumbled onto.

Nevadaref Tue May 31, 2005 01:11am

I'd have to say no and I'd use the following to back it up:

RULE 3
SECTION 4 UNIFORMS
ART. 15 . . . A team jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt shall be tucked inside the pants/skirt and the pants/skirt shall be above the hips and worn properly. A player not conforming to this uniform policy shall be directed to leave the game.

SECTION 5 TEAM MEMBER'S EQUIPMENT, APPAREL
The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate. Examples of illegal items include, but are not limited to:
ART. 3 . . . Equipment which is unnatural and designed to increase a player's height or reach or to gain an advantage. Equipment shall not be modified from its' original manufactured state and shall be worn in the manner the manufacturer intended it to be worn.

IMO the inside-out pockets are not being worn properly. I'd direct the player to leave the game.

ChuckElias Tue May 31, 2005 08:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
IMO the inside-out pockets are not being worn properly. I'd direct the player to leave the game.
Wouldn't you just tell him to tuck them back in?

BktBallRef Tue May 31, 2005 09:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Is it legal for a player to play with his pockets hanging out? Worked a couple of games tonight where a player had his pockets turned inside out and hanging out to the sides. Can't think of any reason why it should be illegal, but I'm wondering what y'all think. Or if there's some weird interp in the case book that I havne't stumbled onto.
The teams I officiate don't have uniforms with pockets. :)

ChrisSportsFan Tue May 31, 2005 09:54am

Was he doing it on purpose or was he just a slob?
Either way, "hey buddy, tuck your pockets in".

Dan_ref Tue May 31, 2005 09:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Why would you even do that?

ChuckElias Tue May 31, 2005 10:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Why would you even do that?

Never said I would. :)

bigwhistle Tue May 31, 2005 10:32am

Quote:

I'd have to say no and I'd use the following to back it up:

RULE 3
SECTION 4 UNIFORMS
ART. 15 . . . A team jersey designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt shall be tucked inside the pants/skirt and the pants/skirt shall be above the hips and worn properly. A player not conforming to this uniform policy shall be directed to leave the game.

SECTION 5 TEAM MEMBER'S EQUIPMENT, APPAREL
The referee shall not permit any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate. Examples of illegal items include, but are not limited to:
ART. 3 . . . Equipment which is unnatural and designed to increase a player's height or reach or to gain an advantage. Equipment shall not be modified from its' original manufactured state and shall be worn in the manner the manufacturer intended it to be worn.

Are you sure that this is not the way the manufacturer wants these pockets to be worn? :D You gotta remember, in certain areas (as we have been told here many times) things ain't the way YOU and I would think they were. :)

JRutledge Tue May 31, 2005 10:35am

I have never seen a regular season game and the team had pockets. Maybe I am just missing out. ;)

Peace

rainmaker Tue May 31, 2005 10:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
I have never seen a regular season game and the team had pockets. Maybe I am just missing out. ;)

Peace

Yea, I'm not sure how many have them during the season. It just struck me as a question to ask, in case I ever need to know.

lukealex Tue May 31, 2005 10:50am

Back in the days of 7th and 8th grade basketball the shorts I had to wear for uniforms were from the 80's. Our couch allowed us to wear personal shorts, as long as they were all exactly the same. Black, Nike, white swoosh, pretty common shorts. I do remember at least one guy had pockets, so it does happen, just not too often.

Robmoz Tue May 31, 2005 10:52am

Pockets turned out is a new "fashion" statement that is becoming popular with today's youth. IMO they should be told to tuck it in!

bigwhistle Tue May 31, 2005 11:07am

Quote:

Originally posted by lukealex
Back in the days of 7th and 8th grade basketball the shorts I had to wear for uniforms were from the 80's. Our couch allowed us to wear personal shorts, as long as they were all exactly the same.
Did the dining room chairs or the recliners in the den have any restrictions for ya, since the couch was pretty darn liberal? :D

lukealex Tue May 31, 2005 11:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:

Originally posted by lukealex
Back in the days of 7th and 8th grade basketball the shorts I had to wear for uniforms were from the 80's. Our couch allowed us to wear personal shorts, as long as they were all exactly the same.
Did the dining room chairs or the recliners in the den have any restrictions for ya, since the couch was pretty darn liberal? :D

Haha nice. The couch was real picky who used it, but the rest of the furniture just liked to be sat on.

:D

SmokeEater Tue May 31, 2005 11:27am

IMO having pockets could be a hazard, something like jewelry where fingers or hands can get caught on them. In the league I am involved in no pockets are allowed. For the youth ages 12 and under we will allow them to be taped shut, older players do not play.