The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Could this happen? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/20523-could-happen.html)

lukealex Tue May 24, 2005 11:15am

Team A has the ball for a throw-in under their basket after a made basket. Team A is down to its last player, but they are leading by 143 with one minute left.

How does A1 in bound the ball?

Can A1 throw the ball and have it hit team B's rim then grab the ball and continue up the court? Bouncing the ball off the backboard would be considered a dribble (if the ball was already in bounds) but what about on a throw in and the ball hits the him?

bob jenkins Tue May 24, 2005 11:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by lukealex
Team A has the ball for a throw-in under their basket after a made basket. Team A is down to its last player, but they are leading by 143 with one minute left.

Can A1 throw the ball and have it hit team B's rim then grab the ball and continue up the court? Bouncing the ball off the backboard would be considered a dribble (if the ball was already in bounds) but what about on a throw in and the ball hits the him?

Hitting the rim is the same as hitting the floor -- so that's not sufficient for A1 to then touch the ball.

A1 should try to get the ball to hit a B player and / or toss the ball down the court to waste as much time as possible before B obtains posession.

lukealex Tue May 24, 2005 11:20am

What if A1 managed to get the ball to hit the backboard??

Snake~eyes Tue May 24, 2005 11:50am

Quote:

What if A1 managed to get the ball to hit the backboard??
It's no different then it hitting the floor, unless you're talking about the back of the backboard which would be an throwin violation.

ChuckElias Tue May 24, 2005 11:53am

If he's really up by an insurmountable lead, then he doesn't need to worry about inbounding it. Just toss it to B1, let him score. Hold the ball for 4 seconds, then toss it to B1, let him score. Hold the ball for 4 seconds. . . The most Team B could get is 45 points.

rainmaker Tue May 24, 2005 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
If he's really up by an insurmountable lead, then he doesn't need to worry about inbounding it. Just toss it to B1, let him score. Hold the ball for 4 seconds, then toss it to B1, let him score. Hold the ball for 4 seconds. . . The most Team B could get is 45 points.

And if they're that far behind, even as all the A players are fouling out. They sure won't hit everyone of those shots!

But just in case this is a trick question, I'd like to challenge your first sentence that "Team A has the ball for a throw-in under their basket after a made basket. " If the throw-in is under Team A's basket, it was Team A that made the shot, and Team B would get the ball. If Team A is inbounding after a made basket, the inbound would be under B's basket.

Since I'm the first to point out this minor discrepancy, do I get a trophy?

At least a "Good Job!" pencil?

Dan_ref Tue May 24, 2005 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias

And if they're that far behind, even as all the A players are fouling out. They sure won't hit everyone of those shots!

But just in case this is a trick question, I'd like to challenge your first sentence that "Team A has the ball for a throw-in under their basket after a made basket. " If the throw-in is under Team A's basket, it was Team A that made the shot, and Team B would get the ball. If Team A is inbounding after a made basket, the inbound would be under B's basket.

http://jenn.wiked.org/random/goldstar.gif

Stan Tue May 24, 2005 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

Can you give an attaboy to a girl?

blindzebra Wed May 25, 2005 02:07am

Quote:

It's dodgeball time baby. A1 needs to throw the ball off of a team B player to legally touch the throw-in.

In your situation the smart thing to do is hold the ball for 4 seconds and than throw the ball high and deep to the other end, as this will take a few more seconds off the clock.

If the clock is stopped then A needs to try to hit a B player with the throw-in.

TigerBball Wed May 25, 2005 06:38am

Throw it high, almost straight up intending it to bounce at half court, with the majority of the momentum being downward, not forward, the ball will either bounce several more times and take another 5 seconds to actuall get out of bounds, or team B will become impatient and grab the ball.

After a few times and Team B becomes impatient quicker and just starts catching the ball, start throwing it futher and further away, but still very high. Now team B is catching the ball at the other FT line, takes a few more seconds for the ball to get there and for them to dribble it back to half court.

Once they start moving all their players back, then change up and (without letting the ball touch the end line) roll the ball very slowly on the ground making them all run from past half court up to get the ball, this should take 4-6 seconds to accomplish.

Now you really have them guessing.

BktBallRef Wed May 25, 2005 07:23am

The deeper we get into the off-season, the worse the scenarios get! :(

stmaryrams Wed May 25, 2005 09:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
The deeper we get into the off-season, the worse the scenarios get! :(
A1 throws the ball to bounce off B1's head and into A1's basket, does is count?

When does the season start?

BktBallRef Wed May 25, 2005 10:06am

No nearly soon enough. :^/

Snake~eyes Wed May 25, 2005 11:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by TigerBball
Throw it high, almost straight up intending it to bounce at half court, with the majority of the momentum being downward, not forward, the ball will either bounce several more times and take another 5 seconds to actuall get out of bounds, or team B will become impatient and grab the ball.

After a few times and Team B becomes impatient quicker and just starts catching the ball, start throwing it futher and further away, but still very high. Now team B is catching the ball at the other FT line, takes a few more seconds for the ball to get there and for them to dribble it back to half court.

Once they start moving all their players back, then change up and (without letting the ball touch the end line) roll the ball very slowly on the ground making them all run from past half court up to get the ball, this should take 4-6 seconds to accomplish.

Now you really have them guessing.

I'm just glad we have figured out the best strategy when a team only has 1 player and a 148 point lead, I will see if coaches deploy this strategy in the upcoming season.

M&M Guy Wed May 25, 2005 11:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I'm just glad we have figured out the best strategy when a team only has 1 player and a 148 point lead, I will see if coaches deploy this strategy in the upcoming season.
Aren't you also making the flawed assumption that there are a large number of coaches reading this forum to better understand the rules?

:D