The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 02:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

If my role as Galactic Emperor extended to making the NF rules for basketball, here's what I would do:

1) No jump to start game - home gets ball to start 1st and 4th, visitors to start 2nd and 3rd. Jump for OT.

2) No one-and-one - on seventh team foul of half, two shots, on tenth team foul, three to make two.

3) No automatic possession on a T. Use POI.

4) Only players on the floor can request a TO. No particular reason except it would piss off the coaches, which is cool.

5) Allow players on the FT lane to go in on the release. The game should be for manly men (and women).

6) No five second closely guarded if player is dribbling. Have the rule only on holding the ball.

7) Eliminate five second closedly guarded and ten second backcourt violation in all games with a shot clock. Eliminate redundancy.

8) End the nonsense of allowing more than one player OOB after a made or awarded score. I've yet to hear a logical reason to allow it.

9) Allow players to play with nipple rings, if they're taped.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still holding out for the 8 foot rim.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
If my role as Galactic Emperor extended to making the NF rules for basketball, here's what I would do:

1) No jump to start game - home gets ball to start 1st and 4th, visitors to start 2nd and 3rd. Jump for OT.

2) No one-and-one - on seventh team foul of half, two shots, on tenth team foul, three to make two.

4) Only players on the floor can request a TO. No particular reason except it would piss off the coaches, which is cool.

5) Allow players on the FT lane to go in on the release. The game should be for manly men (and women).

6) No five second closely guarded if player is dribbling. Have the rule only on holding the ball.

7) Eliminate five second closedly guarded and ten second backcourt violation in all games with a shot clock. Eliminate redundancy.

8) End the nonsense of allowing more than one player OOB after a made or awarded score. I've yet to hear a logical reason to allow it.

Hmmm...

1) Dumb idea. Jump's a great, dramatic way to begin the contest. I suppose you'd eliminate the opening kickoff from football too, eh?

2) No 1-and-1 - give offended team chance for minimum of two free throws....sounds a lot like FIBA

5) I didn't know players on the lane had to wait for rim contact in NFHS...you learn something new every day!

6) No five second count on dribble - a rule modifiation that Canada's been using for years!

9) Something tells me you'd only want this rule so it would be necessary to check. And that you would restrict yourself to working womens' games - in Florida and California. Or Sweden
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Better than jump ball

Why not skip the jump ball and do like the XFL. Start with the ball on the floor at midcourt and have two players spring to get control of it. Or how about building a shoot to drop the ball in the middle of the game, kind of like foosball?
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Better than jump ball

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Or how about building a shoot to drop the ball in the middle of the game, kind of like foosball?
LOL

Old Fri May 20, 2005, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I just saw the title, and the name of the "Thread Starter" and I called Mary. "Hey, he forget his meds today!!"
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Better than jump ball

Jumpball is part of the game, not sure what's so bad about it.

Mark, you must be bad at tossing the ball, as the R you should just make the U1 do it instead.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 04:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: Re: Re: Better than jump ball

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Jumpball is part of the game, not sure what's so bad about it.

Mark, you must be bad at tossing the ball, as the R you should just make the U1 do it instead.
Actually, I'm excellent at tossing the ball. That's not the point. The opening jump just gives players a chance to start pushing and elbowing each other. I'd like to delay that until at least the first trip down the floor.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 04:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I just saw the title, and the name of the "Thread Starter" and I called Mary. "Hey, he forget his meds today!!"
My wife (actually spelled Merri) just came upstairs and handed me an appointment slip for yet another lobotomy (for me, not her).

Thanks, Juulie.

BTW - I've told Juulie before that my wife doesn't have a very high opinion of men to begin with. Here's three examples:

1) She thinks The Three Stooges movies are documentaries.
2) She says the only reason men walk upright is because 7-11 puts the beer on the top shelf.
3) She has a keychain that says, "Mens are like dogs - dumb but trainable".

The only reason she has put up with me all these years is she keeps herself heavily sedated.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
My wife (actually spelled Merri) just came upstairs and handed me an appointment slip for yet another lobotomy (for me, not her).

Thanks, Juulie.

BTW - I've told Juulie before that my wife doesn't have a very high opinion of men to begin with. Here's three examples:

1) She thinks The Three Stooges movies are documentaries.
2) She says the only reason men walk upright is because 7-11 puts the beer on the top shelf.
3) She has a keychain that says, "Mens are like dogs - dumb but trainable".

The only reason she has put up with me all these years is she keeps herself heavily sedated.
All this is why I don't spell her name M-E-R-R-Y! Shouldn't we be calling her G-L-O-O-M-Y?!
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
....with red wine....

Old Fri May 20, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. Why? It works fine as it is.
  2. Why? 1+1 then 2 is a good step..you get some for free and then the price goes up.
  3. Agree
  4. Agree
  5. On the rim works better. Too many HS officials couldn't manage it correctly and there were near bloodbaths under the boards that went uncalled if the ball went in.
  6. Why? It's a team game. Rewards good defense.
  7. It would only be redundant if they were the same length as the shot clock. All work together to force action in different ways. The 10 second count reduces the size of the floor that the defense has to cover to force a turnover. The 5 second count makes it a team game.
  8. Team may make the throwin from anywhere OOB along that line. There is no spot designated nor any thrower designated. Why prohibit it?
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 06:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

1. Why? It works fine as it is.
  2. Why? 1+1 then 2 is a good step..you get some for free and then the price goes up.
  3. Agree
  4. Agree
  5. On the rim works better. Too many HS officials couldn't manage it correctly and there were near bloodbaths under the boards that went uncalled if the ball went in.
  6. Why? It's a team game. Rewards good defense.
  7. It would only be redundant if they were the same length as the shot clock. All work together to force action in different ways. The 10 second count reduces the size of the floor that the defense has to cover to force a turnover. The 5 second count makes it a team game.
  8. Team may make the throwin from anywhere OOB along that line. There is no spot designated nor any thrower designated. Why prohibit it?
I see you didn't comment on number 9.
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Better than jump ball

Quote:
Actually, I'm excellent at tossing the ball.
That's not what Julie said...........
Old Fri May 20, 2005, 08:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Better than jump ball

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
Actually, I'm excellent at tossing the ball.
That's not what Julie said...........
When we work together, she usually lets me toss. My method is simple (really - no joke). I pick a spot about 3 feet higher than the taller of the jumpers, midway between the two. Then I "shot put" the ball to that spot, while looking only at the spot.

It works really well for me and I can't ever remember having my partner call a re-jump due to a bad toss.

However, I once worked with a partner from England who said it really wasn't a good idea to get a reputation as a "tosser".