The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hello,

I am a new official in Illinois and am planning to attend a basketball camp this summer to get my name out there to the assignors. Any suggestions?

Since I'm just starting, I would think concentrating more on getting work from high school basketball would be the way to go. I assume it's virtually impossible (or a rarity) to officiate college games immediately without "paying your dues" working non-varsity HS games.

Thanks.
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 07:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Where do you live?

If you live near the Chicago area, here are some camps you might want to check out.

Basketball Camps

Peace
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 10:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Depending on where you live, there is a clinic coming up in Teutoplis (June 6th & 7th).
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Are you new to officiating or new to Illinois?

If you are new to officiating, I would have to say that it would be rare for someone to step in and work college games. I have never heard of someone with zero experience working that level......but hey, maybe you're a natural??
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

basketball camp

A good officials camp. Midwest Referee School.
http://www.MWCOfficials.com- will also hold a IHSA clinic is free to the campers. No additional cost.
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Re: basketball camp

Quote:
Originally posted by arref
http://www.MWCOfficials.com- will also hold a IHSA clinic is free to the campers. No additional cost.
I would also recommend this camp - good clinicians, lots of help. It's geared towards college women's mechanics, but they will also teach HS mechanics for the IHSA clinic.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 05, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: basketball camp

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by arref
I would also recommend this camp - good clinicians, lots of help. It's geared towards college women's mechanics, but they will also teach HS mechanics for the IHSA clinic.
Ditto.

Old Thu May 05, 2005, 11:42am
Do not give a damn!!

What also needs to be made clear, if you have a background in college basketball (it is not clear by your original question), it is to your benefit to decide which side of the game you want to work on. All of the camps I gave with college evaluations were all Men's camps. So if you have no desire to work Men's basketball, those are not the camps you want to attend. If you want to work women's basketball, attend the Midwest camp that was listed. If you are brand spanking new to officiating, then attend a HS camp.

Here are all the current clinics across the state. You might want to check back to this site because the information gets updated from time to time.

IHSA Camps

Peace
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 12:58pm
M.A.S.H.

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Depending on where you live, there is a clinic coming up in Teutoplis (June 6th & 7th).
If you are interested in attending, you can find information to contact Bill Fritcher on the IHSA's website >> Official's Department >> Clinics (I think it's the 3rd one down).

I just send my form off to attend.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Post Midwest Officials Camp

Sam Lickliter, Supervisor of Officials for the Mid-American Conference, will be holding a camp at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, MI on the weekend of June 22-24. Contact Sam at [email protected].
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Camps list

A list of officiating camps in Illinois and more than 80 nationwide can be found at phillyref.com. Camps can also be added and updated on the site. Come on fellow officials, help me out by taking a look and providing updates. Each year we do the find a camp thing and the site is an opportunity to make it more effective for all of us.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Midwest Officials Camp by Al Reya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Ditto.
I triple this one. Great camp.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
Come on fellow officials, help me out by taking a look and providing updates.
It wasn't obvious to me how to submit an update, but there were no Texas camps listed [by the way, Tennessee does not show on the drop-down menu!]. The Alamo City Officiating Camp will have two sessions this summer (this is the 3rd year for this HS camp):
Alamo City Officiating Camp
April 20-22 - HS Boys Varsity and
May 18-20 - AAU Girls
cost is $125 per session or $175 for both sessions
Contact is Mark Acuna, (210) 386-9359

...I think that covers the type of information shown on your link, but will add that this is 3-person mechanics, though they will allow for some 2-person if you are from an area with no 3-man. Finally, the following is some information from the camp flyer as well:
Quote:
... information on an official’s camp that will teach the fundamentals NFHS/TASO mechanics and game management. The camp will include floor work, classroom discussions, video taping of games, staff evaluation and observation, and handouts. Each game will be filmed and reviewed following your assigned game. Evaluators will be current members of TASO who have worked Regional and State games, Big XII, Sun Belt and Southland Conferences.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Texas and Tennessee Camps

Thanks for the info on the Alamo city camps. They have been added to the listing on phillyref.com.

The listing now includes 114 camps in 29 states and the District of Columbia and will be expanded. Currently no camps are listed for Tennessee, but I expect that will change soon.

To submit a camp addition, you can click the add link in the upper left hand corner. To submit a camp correction or update, you can click the red numbered link to the left of the camp listing.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
A list of officiating camps in Illinois and more than 80 nationwide can be found at phillyref.com. Camps can also be added and updated on the site. Come on fellow officials, help me out by taking a look and providing updates. Each year we do the find a camp thing and the site is an opportunity to make it more effective for all of us.
Just wondering if they can fix the links to their interesting-looking articles:

http://phillyref.com/basketball/articles.html