The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Sometimes people ask me why I officiate. The answer is simple, I get to meet kids like this:

May 02, 2005

Q&A: Gabe Fernandez, Warwick baseball player

Gabe Fernandez left his Warwick home on the morning of Feb. 11, hopped in the car and headed for the high school. He never made it. The car he drove veered off the road on Kings Highway. Fernandez, a junior, would have been an outfielder on the varsity baseball team this season. That ended the moment his car struck two cedar trees.
Fernandez broke every bone in his face and the femurs in both legs. His lungs were bruised. He had a brain contusion and was placed in a medically induced coma, so the swelling would go down. He was given a tracheotomy so he could breathe.
He spent two weeks at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla, followed by nearly a month at Helen Hayes Hospital in Haverstraw. He was discharged March 30 but has not yet returned to Warwick for classes.
What do remember about the accident?
From what I hear, I was trying to get out of the car. But I don't really remember anything about that day – or the couple of weeks after that. Hopefully, that's normal.
How did you find out the extent of what happened?
They pointed it out to me. I didn't know I couldn't speak. I didn't know I was on life-support.
What was the scariest thing a doctor told you?
I'm not going to be 100 percent. All the injuries scared me, but knowing I'm not going to be 100 percent completely, it scares me.
How do feel right now?
So much better than I did in the hospital. I went from 160 pounds down to 120, but now I'm up to 128.
Just walking is a dream, after what happened. I'm thinking right. I'm talking right. I'm getting through it. It doesn't matter if it takes a long time or a short time, as long as I get through it, I'll be happy.
Talk about your rehabilitation.
They did a lot of mind stuff, to see if I could get my memory back, which is like 75 percent. I did occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy.
Any memories of your feelings in the hospital?
Seeing people in wheelchairs permanently, and knowing that you were in a wheelchair and got out, it makes you feel good about yourself.
You've been attending home games, and sitting near the team. How's that been?
My coach made me as much a part of the team as possible. That makes me feel good that people care, that my teammates care. That feels good.
What has the support been like in the community?
They've been selling 'Children's Miracle Maker' bracelets at school. Half goes to us, half goes to the association.
People I don't even know talk to me. I have like 100 messages left for me on myspace.com. Even the cards I get from people are awesome.
What does the future hold?
I expect to play baseball. It's the only thing I have in my life besides friends and family. I'm too small to play football, too short to play basketball.
What advice would you give other kids?
Don't quit anything that's stopping you from doing something. Keep going, try your hardest and positives come out of it. Think about the best thing that can happen to you, and think about it the whole time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright Orange County Publications, a division of Ottaway Newspapers Inc., all rights reserved.

Old Tue May 03, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

This is what puts things in perspective - basketball is just a game. But, boy, that's hard to remember when you're out on the court and you have the coach and fans in your face...

Hope things turn out ok for this kid. He's got the right attitude.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 09:15am
Esteemed Participant

Thanks Dan...good way for me to start the day!
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Without turning this into a cryfest...

We had a similar thing happen to a girl who attends the local high school. She was in a serious car accident in Febraury. She was put in a medically-induced coma, and went through a lot of the things the other student went through. She had a brain stem injury, which required her to re-learn simple things like eating and walking. Happy to say she is now at home, and recovering well. Although she still has a long way to go, her life is slowly getting back to normal. A couple of weeks ago, she was elected prom queen for the courage and determination she's shown.

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
Without turning this into a cryfest...

We had a similar thing happen to a girl who attends the local high school. She was in a serious car accident in Febraury. She was put in a medically-induced coma, and went through a lot of the things the other student went through. She had a brain stem injury, which required her to re-learn simple things like eating and walking. Happy to say she is now at home, and recovering well. Although she still has a long way to go, her life is slowly getting back to normal. A couple of weeks ago, she was elected prom queen for the courage and determination she's shown.
At an AAU tourney a few weeks ago the kid who was managing the gym broke his neck 2+ yrs ago when his car went out of control while speeding. He was playing D2 ball at the time, he's hoping to be back on the team for 05/06. Had the same break as Chris Reeves, lucky to be alive. His mother gave him a picture of him in the hospital - head all cut up, black & blue in a halo - he keeps it taped to the dash. When he's late for work or class he looks at it & slows down.