The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Way OT- Sports Trivia question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19746-way-ot-sports-trivia-question.html)

Dan_ref Fri Apr 15, 2005 03:56pm

Re: You are correct sir!

Quote:

Originally posted by rotationslim

BTW, I can't figure out how they ref the thing, the players are beating each other ALL the time, and on rare occasions they blow the whistle. I can't figure out what is an acceptable assault and battery on opponent, and what is penalized.

Sounds like the 4th game of a set of 4 AAU basketball games to me. :)

rotationslim Fri Apr 15, 2005 04:08pm

"I hope your daughter is wearing a one-piece swimming suit.The men's polo I saw when the Olympics were on TV included a lot of "pantsing". I don't think children should have to handle that!"

Actually most girls wear 2 suits... very tight to attempt to not give opponent something to grab onto

"I think the refs stand along the edge and can see pretty much straight down. At least, that's how it appeared on TV. They'd probably get a better angle from a window in the side of the pool. But then the players would have to wear numbers on their butts, I suppose."

They have numbers on their hats, numbers 1 through 20, they have an interesting mechanic to report numbers to table, they do use both hands, and a fist mens 10+, so for lets say, 17, they would make a fist, then transition in one motion into 7 fingers into the air... it is interesting to see.

Minor infractions are just a stop in play, and ball turned over to non-offending team. If defense offends, they must back off at whistle and allow offense to pass ball on unmolested.

For flagrant fouls they call it and "exclusion" or commonly called a "kickout" the offending player must swim to side of pool and remain out of play for 20 seconds, or until their team gets ball back, or goal is scored. 3 exclusions and player is out of game.

It is interesting to see governance in other sports.. and how it is simular and different to basketball.

M&M Guy Fri Apr 15, 2005 04:22pm

Re: Re: You are correct sir!

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
I hope your daughter is wearing a one-piece swimming suit. THe men's polo I saw when the Olympics were on TV included a lot of "pantsing". I don't think children should have to handle that!

Absolutely right! Now, adult co-ed leagues...where do I sign up? ;)

On the "exclusion" fouls - is that handled like the penalty box in hockey? The player goes to the side for a prescribed time limit? And, what's the difference between a normal "back off and play on" foul and an exclusion foul? Is it like a flagrent foul in basketball? If so, is there another level still that could get a player ejected from the match without waiting until their third?

rotationslim Fri Apr 15, 2005 04:49pm

Quote:
On the "exclusion" fouls - is that handled like the penalty box in hockey? The player goes to the side for a prescribed time limit? And, what's the difference between a normal "back off and play on" foul and an exclusion foul? Is it like a flagrent foul in basketball? If so, is there another level still that could get a player ejected from the match without waiting until their third?

Again, I am just a spectator, but it appears that the exclusion foul is, somewhat simular to a flagrant and rougher than the normal "back off and play on" foul. I have never seen an ejection prior to third exclusion foul. I think if defense fouls right in front of goal a penalty shot is awarded.

A penalized player goes to side for up to 20 seconds, although from what I have seen usually a shot is taken, or ball turned over before the 20 seconds is over, (at least at this level of play, I assume more proficient players control ball better) and penalized player rejoins game on either of those occurances. The scorekeeper is supposed to raise a flag when 20 seconds is over, however parents keep score (me) and sometimes miss it, and coaches usually yell for the player to go back in. Coaches exercise more control over the game than in basketball, I suspect due to the fact that most players are fairly new to the sport and are still taking a lot of instruction, as opposed to bball players who have usually played for years and years.

From what I see, the Water Polo culture is a much smaller fraternity than basketball, so there is a lot of self regulation by players, for lack of a better term, more of a gentlemanly governance of the game.

26 Year Gap Fri Apr 15, 2005 07:06pm

Sounds like the 4th game of a set of 4 AAU basketball games to me.

I'll let you know later. I have 4 in a row tomorrow...at 2 different venues. Could be worse. I WAS scheduled to do 2 at the same time at different venues.

rainmaker Fri Apr 15, 2005 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by 26 Year Gap
I WAS scheduled to do 2 at the same time at different venues.
Gee, do you also walk on water?!

rainmaker Fri Apr 15, 2005 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rotationslim
"
Minor infractions are just a stop in play, and ball turned over to non-offending team. If defense offends, they must back off at whistle and allow offense to pass ball on unmolested.

For flagrant fouls they call it and "exclusion" or commonly called a "kickout" the offending player must swim to side of pool and remain out of play for 20 seconds, or until their team gets ball back, or goal is scored. 3 exclusions and player is out of game.

That more or less matches what I saw during the Olympics.

Your use of the word "molested" is interesting. In some contexts, that would be an issue in the courtroom, as well as in the pool!

26 Year Gap Fri Apr 15, 2005 09:34pm

No, but there is more than one guy scheduling the officials for this AAU tournament.