The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Your call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19698-your-call.html)

Just Curious Wed Apr 13, 2005 05:29pm

1. A1 receives a pass while on the floor. Without moving either foot attempts a jumpshot... Somewhere inbetween the time he left the floor and the peak of his jump, he decided not to shoot and before he physically touches the floor on his desent, he throws the ball to the floor to presumably start a dribble and continues this dribble... Travel?
2. Trail gets sandwhiched in between A1 and B1. A1, playing a cat and mouse game with B1 keeps the Trail between the two of them and uses the Trail as a screen. Illegal use of Trail? :) What's the mechanic? :p

mcdanrd Wed Apr 13, 2005 05:36pm

1. Travel
2. since the official is part of the floor I guess you've got nothing unless you want to bang him with a T for unsportsmanlike conduct

ref18 Wed Apr 13, 2005 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Just Curious
1. A1 receives a pass while on the floor. Without moving either foot attempts a jumpshot... Somewhere inbetween the time he left the floor and the peak of his jump, he decided not to shoot and before he physically touches the floor on his desent, he throws the ball to the floor to presumably start a dribble and continues this dribble... Travel?
2. Trail gets sandwhiched in between A1 and B1. A1, playing a cat and mouse game with B1 keeps the Trail between the two of them and uses the Trail as a screen. Illegal use of Trail? :) What's the mechanic? :p

The trail should get his *** outta there. Otherwise any screen by an official is legal, regardless of whether we've got LGP or not :D

brainbrian Wed Apr 13, 2005 06:30pm

1. I believe this is legal. What's illegal about it? I've seen it done in varsity games before. (Not that that means it's right. :D) Unless maybe we're reading it two different ways.

2. If I ever get stuck in the middle of a play, I just stop. I may screen a player once that way, but I'm surely not going to screen him the entire way down the court that way. Then, if your partner is paying attention as he should be, he might run the entire length of the floor for you and become the lead at that end also if he can get down there faster for a read on the play.

But just stop. Because it's like the times when you see someone coming down the hallway and you're like you go left, then they go right. Then you step to the left, then they do at the same time. Avoid that. I just stop.

Rick Durkee Wed Apr 13, 2005 06:47pm

Play 1. Travel. Player lifted pivot foot before starting the dribble.

Jurassic Referee Wed Apr 13, 2005 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by brainbrian
1. I believe this is legal. What's illegal about it? I've seen it done in varsity games before. (Not that that means it's right. :D) Unless maybe we're reading it two different ways.

Read NFHS case book play 4.43.3SitB. After doing so, you may change your belief. It's traveling.

Back In The Saddle Wed Apr 13, 2005 08:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by brainbrian

Read NFHS case book play 4.43.3SitB. After doing so, you may change your belief. It's traveling.

But it won't stop him seeing it in varsity games ;)

Snake~eyes Wed Apr 13, 2005 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Just Curious

2. Chew out the trail at halftime.