The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   spot of inbounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1966-spot-inbounds.html)

Dennis Flannery Wed Mar 14, 2001 07:35pm

I know it is there, I just don't have my rule book with me...can someone help? When team A throws the ball in bounds....and no one touches it....it then goes out of bounds....where do we put the ball back in play. I know it is from the spot of the original throw in .... but where is it in the rule book.

Hawks Coach Wed Mar 14, 2001 09:28pm

It is a throw-in violation, as per 9-2-2. The penalty is award the ball to opponents at spot closest to violation. In this case, the violation is the failure to throw the ball so that it is touched on the court by another player - the inbounder commits the violation, so the ball is given to the opponents at the same spot.

This violation is equivalent to any other violation by the inbounding player*, such as stepping on or over the line.

*The proprietary, non-official terms inbounding player and inbounder are used as a courtesy to Mick so he won't thrower up!

BktBallRef Wed Mar 14, 2001 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
It is a throw-in violation, as per 9-2-2. The penalty is award the ball to opponents at spot closest to violation. In this case, the violation is the failure to throw the ball so that it is touched on the court by another player - the inbounder commits the violation, so the ball is given to the opponents at the same spot.

This violation is equivalent to any other violation by the inbounding player*, such as stepping on or over the line.

*The proprietary, non-official terms inbounding player and inbounder are used as a courtesy to Mick so he won't thrower up!

That's "so he won't thrower U. P.!" :)

mick Wed Mar 14, 2001 11:31pm

Coach and Tony

I thought the thrower U.P. happens when the guy tosses it.
mick

Hawks Coach Thu Mar 15, 2001 08:06am

Thrower U.P. (n) a snowmobiler or ice fisherman who had a few too many warmer U.P.s

mick Thu Mar 15, 2001 08:38am

or....

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Thrower U.P. (n) a snowmobiler or ice fisherman who had a few too many warmer U.P.s
n. Any Yooper who knows how to make room for more.

Dan_ref Thu Mar 15, 2001 09:58am

Geeze guys, I'm trying to finish my egg sandwich here!

bob jenkins Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Although many of the yoopers are of Nordic descent, I'm not sure how many of them are Finnish. :)

mikesears Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:54pm

Quote:

Please don't bring U.P. your meal :D

mick Thu Mar 15, 2001 12:59pm

According to my phone book

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Although many of the yoopers are of Nordic descent, I'm not sure how many of them are Finnish. :)

Bob,
There could be 25% that can Finnish an egg sandwich.
mick