The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a difference between an airborne player that passes the ball vs attempts a try in relation to a player control foul and determining if free throws may be attempted?
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
In HS, yes. If a player passes the ball, s/he no longer has control. So if s/he then charges into the defender it is NOT a player control foul and the fouled defender would shoot FTs if his/her team is in the bonus. An airborne player who is still holding the ball or who has shot the ball and then charges before returning to the floor has commited a player control foul and no FTs are awarded to the offended team.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

In college, by the way, these would both be team control fouls and no FTs would be shot in either situation
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
In HS, yes. If a player passes the ball, s/he no longer has control. So if s/he then charges into the defender it is NOT a player control foul and the fouled defender would shoot FTs if his/her team is in the bonus. An airborne player who is still holding the ball or who has shot the ball and then charges before returning to the floor has commited a player control foul and no FTs are awarded to the offended team.
Quote:
In college, by the way, these would both be team control fouls and no FTs would be shot in either situation

Aw come on, Chuck. You know that in a college game, if a player shoots the ball and then fouls before returning to the floor that it is NOT a team control foul.

Silly you.

Unless you're on the women's side.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Apr 11th, 2005 at 03:35 AM]
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Can you point me in the right direction for reference to this rule? We have a bit of a debate going locally in relation to the player being in control when he/she left the floor remaining as player control until they return to the floor, regardless of a pass or shot.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Rule 4.12 Player/Team Control & 4.1 Airborn Shooter

These rule specifically defines player control and what an airborn shooter is. There is no definition of an airborn passer.

Also in case book 4.19.6 Sit B. (a) has the situation you are looking for about passing and crashing.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
An airborne player who is still holding the ball or who has shot the ball and then charges before returning to the floor has commited a player control foul and no FTs are awarded to the offended team.
Aw come on, Chuck. You know that in a college game, if a player shoots the ball and then fouls before returning to the floor that it is NOT a team control foul.

Silly you.
Well, poop. I had the underlined part in my head when I made the second post, but had conveniently forgotten that I'd combined the "holding or shooting" parts. Duh. You're right, of course.

In fact, I had the dreaded good-basket-charge-shoot-bonus-at-the-other-end call this past season. I hate the call, but it was so obvious, I had to do it.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

4.19.6 B (a) says "while the BALL is in the air". I don't see where it refers to an airborne player?
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 04:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SDREGIIBB
4.19.6 B (a) says "while the BALL is in the air". I don't see where it refers to an airborne player?
Exactly. That's why it's not a player control foul. There is no player control and there's no airborne shooter. It doesn't matter if the player is airborne or not if he passes off. That's what Damian was telling you.