The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
They do that so that the viewer ship will grow. The way they do it does draw some attention ordinarily that would not be present.
Rut,
I can only believe that the hope for a larger audience will evaporate.
I sense a tone that when the men's champion has been decided, college basketball is done for the season.
But, I have a certain amount of experience in being incorrect.
mick
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
It is obvious to most people that do not have blinders on, that most of the public does not care about women's basketball. This board is by far the most conversation I have had about women's basketball at all. Everyone had a comment about the men's game yesterday and over the weekend.

Peace
You run in pretty narrow circles, then. I've talked about women's ball far more in the last week than men's. In fact, the only men's ball conversation I've had this last week has been here.

The fact of the matter is that the US has had 100 years to learn to like men's basketball and about 30 to learn to like women's. Five years ago the women's tournament was on FSN. It was grainy and dark, and the ads were from local auto dealerships. Three years ago it was on ESPN2. The ads were local, but the quality of the pictures was much better, and the commentary was also a huge improvement. Two years ago, the tourney was run on both ESPN2 and ESPN. Ads were from national chains that didn't pay a lot. Last year and this year most of the tourney was on ESPN with big national companies advertising regular ads that you'd see just about anywhere else.

I think what this means is that the viewership for women's basketball is increasing, and that ESPN expects it to continue to increase. Will it ever match the men's viewership? Who cares? As long as ESPN thinks it's worth their time and trouble to sell the ads and show the games, I'm guessing that there are enough fans to consider it a "real" sport. Maybe those viewers aren't among your friends. That doesn't mean that no one cares. It just means that you and your friends don't care.

In all seriousness, you guys and your men's basketball aren't the center of the universe. Geez.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Juulie,

It does not matter who had a head start or really why one is more popular over the other. I do know this, I know more officials disappointed in my state when they do not get boy's playoff assignments then they ever do over girl's assignments. I have attended the Men's Big Ten Tournament for the last 6 years between Chicago and Indy, and 20,000 in either arena are not at all unusual. You cannot get tickets in the lower bowl of either the United Center or Conseco Field house when the tournament gets rolling. I watch the Big Ten Women's tournament some times and I see entire sections empty.

You are right. The world does not revolve around Men's basketball. I do know that no one has a thread about who worked the Final Four on the Women's side or goes into detail conversations about calls and situations that happen. Of course there are a few mentions, but no big speculation threads on who "might" work the Final Four and the quality of those officials on the Women's side. There is more talk about baseball on the basketball site than I ever read about Women's college basketball or the WNBA. Many people hate the NBA here, but for some reason when the playoffs arrive, there is a lot talk. Tubbyfan keeps coming back here talking about the Regional Finals and a call that should have been made. JR references a controversial call in a Baylor game last year and no one even remembered or knew what he was talking about.

I am sure there are fans that think the MLS is the bomb and the NHL is the best sport alive. But most people do not care about those sports just like they could give a damn about Women's basketball. Of course ESPN wants to support Women's basketball because they have the entire tournament. I know that if they could trade places with CBS and have the Men's tournament they would. You know that and I know that. CBS had the Women's tournament and did not even put up much of a fight to keep it. I know there were more people that watched the Yankees and the Sox play on Sunday then that watched the Final Four of the Women's tournament. The Final Four is crowning a champion, opening day is just one of 19 games those two teams will actually play each other. If you think that is the same interest level, then I guess the NHL is on their way to sports dominance.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
JR references a controversial call in a Baylor game last year and no one even remembered or knew what he was talking about.

I could say from experience that one of the reasons calls like the Baylor one last year don't get talked about a lot is that there is a concerted effort on the women's side not to badmouth each other or criticize calls publicly. I have noticed a definite difference in this area between men's and women's. I know that official and I'm sure he'd like to have the call back as would all of us at some point.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 06:28am
In Memoriam

YU.P.

Michigan State did not appear "very athletic" last night.

Gone Green.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 06:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

When I was going through the provincial ranks, I had some officials at various levels of success tell me that "they don't ref chick ball." I took me about 2 years to understand what they meant.

Around here, women's college ball is little different from VG ball. I would rather officiate a men's HS regular season game than women's college ball.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 07:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Gone Green.
Seemed like no energy, Mick. I think that the big comeback over Tennessee mighta taken too much outa them.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 07:06am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
When I was going through the provincial ranks, I had some officials at various levels of success tell me that "they don't ref chick ball." I took me about 2 years to understand what they meant.

Around here, women's college ball is little different from VG ball. I would rather officiate a men's HS regular season game than women's college ball.
JugglingReferee,
We only have Boy's High school ball here, ...unless you count Men's rec league.
I prefer Women's college ball because they provide towels.
mick
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 07:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Gone Green.
Seemed like no energy, Mick. I think that the big comeback over Tennessee mighta taken too much outa them.
Well, Baylor had a similar situation with their 15 point comeback the same night.
No doubt, last night the better team won.

Michigan State, having appeared in their first ever Final Four may now say, "...Been there and saw the t-shirt."
mick
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 08:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I thought the Women's Final Four happen last weekend?

Is this a good time to talk about taste loss?

Peace
Can I get taste loss from a foosball table?

Can I cure taste loss with antibiotics?

(my two favorites)
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 08:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
It is obvious to most people that do not have blinders on, that most of the public does not care about women's basketball. This board is by far the most conversation I have had about women's basketball at all. Everyone had a comment about the men's game yesterday and over the weekend.

Peace
You run in pretty narrow circles, then. I've talked about women's ball far more in the last week than men's. In fact, the only men's ball conversation I've had this last week has been here.

The fact of the matter is that the US has had 100 years to learn to like men's basketball and about 30 to learn to like women's. Five years ago the women's tournament was on FSN. It was grainy and dark, and the ads were from local auto dealerships. Three years ago it was on ESPN2. The ads were local, but the quality of the pictures was much better, and the commentary was also a huge improvement. Two years ago, the tourney was run on both ESPN2 and ESPN. Ads were from national chains that didn't pay a lot. Last year and this year most of the tourney was on ESPN with big national companies advertising regular ads that you'd see just about anywhere else.

I think what this means is that the viewership for women's basketball is increasing, and that ESPN expects it to continue to increase. Will it ever match the men's viewership? Who cares? As long as ESPN thinks it's worth their time and trouble to sell the ads and show the games, I'm guessing that there are enough fans to consider it a "real" sport. Maybe those viewers aren't among your friends. That doesn't mean that no one cares. It just means that you and your friends don't care.

In all seriousness, you guys and your men's basketball aren't the center of the universe. Geez.
All women's basketball has to do is generate higher ratings than the crap ESPN normally puts on. Or hockey (low ratings, but I won't call it crap).

Personally, I wish they would've used their time to show a baseball game last night, but I managed to find one by changing the channels.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Well, as much as I would have enjoyed seeing Michigan State win last night especially because one of the players is right from area, Baylor was the better team on the floor and made all of the plays that needed to be made in order to win.

Coach P said it best..."Baylor is a GREAT team, and they played GREAT."
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by socalreff
I could say from experience that one of the reasons calls like the Baylor one last year don't get talked about a lot is that there is a concerted effort on the women's side not to badmouth each other or criticize calls publicly. I have noticed a definite difference in this area between men's and women's. I know that official and I'm sure he'd like to have the call back as would all of us at some point.
It was not talked about because no one really saw the play in question.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Baylor play from 2004.

J. Rut.

Just curious what your take is on that play vs. Tennessee last year on the questionable call.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 12:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Baylor play from 2004.

Quote:
Originally posted by socalreff
J. Rut.

Just curious what your take is on that play vs. Tennessee last year on the questionable call.

I am one of those millions of people that did not see it.

Peace