The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

I had a super regional AAU game which of course goes by women's ncaa rules. It was under a minute left in the game with team A down by three with team B in possession of the ball. The girl from team B drives to the goal and gets fouled in the act of shooting. Before any free throws are attempted there is a timeout taken. After the warning signal had sounded on the timeout a girl tried to report in and I did not let her. After the first attempted free throw I still did not let her come in. I explained to the coach that since the clock had not properly started she could not sub in, but if he took a timeout after the made or missed free throw she could come in. So that is what he did.

Was I correct in my ruling according to ncaa women's rules or NFHS rules?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 07:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I had a super regional AAU game which of course goes by women's ncaa rules. It was under a minute left in the game with team A down by three with team B in possession of the ball. The girl from team B drives to the goal and gets fouled in the act of shooting. Before any free throws are attempted there is a timeout taken. After the warning signal had sounded on the timeout a girl tried to report in and I did not let her. After the first attempted free throw I still did not let her come in. I explained to the coach that since the clock had not properly started she could not sub in, but if he took a timeout after the made or missed free throw she could come in. So that is what he did.

Was I correct in my ruling according to ncaa women's rules or NFHS rules?
Nope, all subs are allowed in after the first FT of the 2 shots. You may be confusing this play with a player leaving the game and then trying to sub back in before the clock started again. That's the one that you don't allow.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

A player must report prior to the warning horn.

If not, she may enter at the next opportunity to sub.

When was the next opportunity to sub? After the first FT.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate it. I thought I messed up because I knew that when the ball is at the disposal of the shooter it is a live ball and on the front end of two shots it is immediately dead after it goes in or misses, then subs should be able to come in.

Thanks again for the replies.