The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

This is a little off topic, but since we're all into basketball...Does anyone have any experience with John Wooden's Pyramid of Success? I teach 5th grade and recently read "Wooden: A lifetime of Observations On and Off the Court". I'm going to put the pyramid up in my classroom and work our way through it discussing each block (probably having the students prewrite about each block, then discuss it as a class, and have the students post-write on the block). Right now I'm in the information gathering stage. Has anyone ever read any other books that would help or used it in a high school or college program? I just thought it discussed a lot of deeper issues of education and life that are outside our core curriculum. Also, its another way of connecting with my students about work ethic and achievement. Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Here's another Wooden book: http://www.crosstrainingpublishing.c...554ecb3c0bde56

Also, check out my dad's new book while you're there: http://www.crosstrainingpublishing.c...554ecb3c0bde56
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 02:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
This is a little off topic, but since we're all into basketball...Does anyone have any experience with John Wooden's Pyramid of Success? I teach 5th grade and recently read "Wooden: A lifetime of Observations On and Off the Court". I'm going to put the pyramid up in my classroom
I may be off base here, but if I remember it correctly, there was a religious aspect to this. Do you teach in a public school? You might want to reconsider this.

Of course, I might be remembering it incorrectly. My "senior moments" have been turning into "senior weeks".
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,
There is some religious aspects in that it talks about faith. I'm going to address this as putting your faith in whatever you want, whether it be your religion, yourself, your family or your friends. It is kind of a dicey area and there are some quotes on this block from his book I will not be able to use because it specifically reflects Christianity. Thanks for bringing that up though. It was something I definitely thought about as I decided to use this in my room. By the way, yes, I am in a public school.

Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

I saw a great T-shirt during football season:

"Why does God allow so much violence in the schools?" On the back side it reads:
"God is not allowed in School"
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown

"Why does God allow so much violence in the schools?" On the back side it reads:
LOL I want this Tshirt.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown

Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 09:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
...I will not be able to use because it specifically reflects Christianity...
Why exactly is this a problem?

Bringing up Christianity is a plus!
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 09:36pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Why exactly is this a problem?

Bringing up Christianity is a plus!
Because we live in a time and society where political correctness has gone amok and any references in public to faith-bases items are not looked upon favorably (to say the least).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

No, it's because some sectors of society are better served valuing ALL methods of faith, and not just North American Christian-based ones.

Every once in a while, the religious right in Western society has to be reminded that they have not cornered the market, nor are they the final word, when it comes to morality, humanity, and the basic principles of right and wrong.

I am not going to participate in a holy war here....I've said my piece, and that's that. We agree to disagree. Post your response for all to read, but I will not be replying in kind.

Besides, there's still lots of basketball to talk about

P.S. I have Coach Wooden's homepage bookmarked on my PC, and while I know he is a man of Christian faith, he does not base his "pyramid" on it, and he refreshingly goes out of his way NOT to include it - demonstrating that what he's teaching transcends religious labels and goes to the deeper truths that humankind faces.

Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Well said Canuck. That was pretty close to the thoughts I was going to post. As a public school teacher I am extremely careful about not presenting any specific religious beliefs. I do have my convictions, but it is certainly not my job to push them on my students. On a related concept, earlier in the year I had my students do election speeches over the presidential and we held a mock election with the entire school. I must have hidden my views well because the class was virtually split in two when I asked them to predict who I was voting for. I had them do this just to make sure I was giving each of the major parties equal time. I was pleased that they didn't nail down my actual view. Okay, I'm done rambling. I have a copy of the pyramid ready to post in my room this week and I'm hoping to begin discussing and writing about it next week.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 11:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
transcends religious labels and goes to the deeper truths that humankind faces
Cute.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
transcends religious labels and goes to the deeper truths that humankind faces
Cute.
I am thinking the same thing.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

You've probably already seen this but this site does a good job going over the pyramid of success.

http://www.coachwooden.com/
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 02:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
As a public school teacher I am extremely careful about not presenting any specific religious beliefs. I do have my convictions, but it is certainly not my job to push them on my students.
Thank you.