The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is flopping a foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19404-flopping-foul.html)

womens_hoops Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:56am

Someone told me recently that when a player deliberately falls to make it appear that she has been fouled, an "unsportsmanlike conduct foul" should be assessed. I looked in the NCAA rulebook, but couldn't find that.

Can anyone tell me whether, under either Fed or NCAA rules, flopping is a foul?

If so, what is the standard -- how blatant does it have to be before you call it?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by womens_hoops
Someone told me recently that when a player deliberately falls to make it appear that she has been fouled, an "unsportsmanlike conduct foul" should be assessed. I looked in the NCAA rulebook, but couldn't find that.

If so, what is the standard -- how blatant does it have to be before you call it?

Flopping is a technical foul.

MTD, Sr.

IREFU2 Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by womens_hoops

Yet is a Technical Foul, but I didnt ever see it called during the last high school season in my area.

womens_hoops Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Flopping is a technical foul.

MTD, Sr. [/B][/QUOTE]

Is that under only under Fed rules, or is it also true in NCAA rules? It doesn't appear to be listed in the definition of a technical foul in the NCAA rulebook...

thanks again for the response!

Almost Always Right Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:10pm

"Flopping" and it's subsequent penalty(T - Unsportsmanlike act) is from the Fed, not the NCAA. It is a POE as of this year. The main point on this was to get the "acting" out of HS ball. The college players can still act all they want!
I called it twice this year - I think I was the only one in my H.S. association to call it.
AAR

imaref Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:29pm

HS FED rules: 10-3-7f (Player technical for unsporting conduct). Also 2004-05 POE #4. Specific unsporting acts. (B.) "Flopping" .....'a technical foul is charged to the "actor" in all cases. Coaches can have a positive impact by appropriately dealing with players who fake being fouled. It is not a part of the game. Officials must penalize the act.'

I've not seen this done. Kind of what is an "intentional foul at the beginning of the game vs. near the end of the game? :confused:

wl