The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tommy O'neal's 2005-6 schedule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19377-tommy-oneals-2005-6-schedule.html)

Roy G Sun Mar 27, 2005 07:41am

Tommy O'neal was the ref who called the disputed and much discussed travel on a Villanova player with 4 sec to go.

Since it appears that the replay probably did not confirm his call, what might the consequences be on his schedule for next year ?

Nevadaref Sun Mar 27, 2005 09:32am

My guess would be none at all.

observer Sun Mar 27, 2005 09:43am

probably nothing

ChrisSportsFan Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:15am

Granted, that was a tough call at that point of the game. What would be saying if there definatly was a travel, no call was made and Nova won the game? We have the benefit of replay and you gotta admit, it did look a little awkward.

observer Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:35am

I can imagine that Villanova
will request he not officiate
at their school next season, or
EVER!!

ChrisSportsFan Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by observer
EVER!!

They might but that's not fair. Probably right after the game, that's what they were thinking but in a few days they can look at it more objectively. I cannot believe that's the worst call they've ever had made against them.

Rich Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by observer
EVER!!

O'Neill has nothing to worry about. He's a top official and works many conferences.

TriggerMN Sun Mar 27, 2005 01:47pm

On a judgement call? Nothing. Why would you penalize a guy for a judgement call?

It'd be one thing if he'd messed up a rule interpretation.

Are you going to suspend an official every time they don't call BI when replays show that the ball was touched while still barely in the cylinder? Where will it end?

BktBallRef Sun Mar 27, 2005 02:38pm

Seeing as how Hank Nichols backed up the call, I don't think Tom will have any problems next year.

JRutledge Sun Mar 27, 2005 03:00pm

O'Neal lives in the Midwest. I am pretty sure that he does not work the Big East. I know he works the Big Ten, Big 12, Conference USA and Mountain West. He probably works the Missouri Valley and the Horizon, at least he used to. I do not think he is going to have a problem over one call, whether you agree with it or not. If that was the case none of us would be working.

Peace

jeffpea Sun Mar 27, 2005 09:33pm

For the record - Tom O'Neill - works 100+ games per year. He is one of the top officials for Dale Kelley who assigns the Big 12, C-USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt, WAC and Southland conferences. He also works the Big 10.

His '05-'06 schedule will not be affected by anything that happens during the NCAA tourney. The two are completed unrelated.

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:33pm

One guy assigns 6 conferences?

Isn't there any spreading of the wealth?

ChrisSportsFan Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:35pm

I guess that's why he can charge the big $$'s for his camps. I've heard he's like $500 or more. ??

tomegun Mon Mar 28, 2005 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jeffpea
For the record - Tom O'Neill - works 100+ games per year. He is one of the top officials for Dale Kelley who assigns the Big 12, C-USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt, WAC and Southland conferences. He also works the Big 10.

His '05-'06 schedule will not be affected by anything that happens during the NCAA tourney. The two are completed unrelated.

Dale Kelley does not assign the Mountain West, Bobby Diebler (sp?) does. At least one of Dale Kelley's conferences might change next year.