The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker

Observations:

There's both a JD Collins playing and a Collins reffing. Interesting!

Also, I agree with whoever said Gus Johnson is better than some. He doesn't seem to be afraid of some silence on his part. I like that. Better than filling the air with inanities. Besides, I'm a Quaker. Silence is part of my genetics.

10/14 3-point shooting!! Wow-ee!
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, so nobody's watching.

WVU shot 75% from 3-point range in regulation, 0% in overtime. Led the whole game, lost by 10 in overtime. Can you say, "Stamina?"

And I agree about Gus Johnson. I didn't hear a single criciticm of a call, although I didn't hear every word. He almost entirely criticised the play, "not a good time to foul", "stupid to foul on that shot." so on. never once questioned the call. Of course, these refs were very, very good.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think most people mind commentators criticizing calls, as long as they are informed.

I like Gus Johnson, too - a breath of fresh air compared to the comparatively dull tone of the other announcers. I just thought of something....isn't this the first Gus Johnson game where the underdog hasn't won? Guess the streak had to end sometime...

Go Wildcats!
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 07:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

If you listened carefully toward the end of regulation, Johnson had trouble determining the amount of possessions it would take to equal a certain number of points for the trailing team.

Someone get that man a slide rule.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Another well officiated game!
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

A terrible shame that WVA lost. They just didn't play much defense in the second half. What a shooting display though!

There was a comment when Lorenzo Wade was denied entry to the game near the end about him having to sit out a full possession. Otherwise, I thought the commentators were fine.

Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Question

What did everyone think about the foul call Tim Higgins made with about 4 minutes to go? Louisville had a backcourt trap, and Higgins called the 5th personal on Francisco Garcia from C. A couple of replays showed that Garcia didn't touch the WVU player. Did I miss something, or did Higgins miss it?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
What did everyone think about the foul call Tim Higgins made with about 4 minutes to go? Louisville had a backcourt trap, and Higgins called the 5th personal on Francisco Garcia from C. A couple of replays showed that Garcia didn't touch the WVU player. Did I miss something, or did Higgins miss it?
Look like an iffy call from the comfort of my couch, like i said I didn't have a good view.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 10:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The first view from the sideline camers showed Garcia whacking him. The replay from the endline camera had the contact hidden behind the WVa player. I thought it was a good call by Higgins, and a dumb foul by Garcia.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

During the last few minutes when Louisville was appling presure on the throw in after a made basket did anyone notice as the WVA player was running the endline the Louisville player that was chasing him was out of bounds? If so, in NCAA, should this have been a warning or something?
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
The first view from the sideline camers showed Garcia whacking him. The replay from the endline camera had the contact hidden behind the WVa player. I thought it was a good call by Higgins, and a dumb foul by Garcia.
I rewound the tape and watched it a few times. He grabs the WVA player on the forearm and quickly lets go right at the start of the trap.

I thought Higgins had an outstanding game, and I'm not normally a fan of his, so that is about as objective as it gets.
He bailed out his partners twice IMO. His best call was the shove against a Louisville player just before the offensive rebound came to him while he was on the opposite block. Higgins was Lead and the C didn't have it.

Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 06:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I rewound the tape and watched it a few times. He grabs the WVA player on the forearm and quickly lets go right at the start of the trap.

That's what I saw on the play- a quick hold to pin the player for the double-team. It wasn't the smartest move for Garcia to try with 4 fouls imo. You're taking your chances.