The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Louisville/WVU (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19369-louisville-wvu.html)

rainmaker Sat Mar 26, 2005 05:33pm

Observations:

There's both a JD Collins playing and a Collins reffing. Interesting!

Also, I agree with whoever said Gus Johnson is better than some. He doesn't seem to be afraid of some silence on his part. I like that. Better than filling the air with inanities. Besides, I'm a Quaker. Silence is part of my genetics.

10/14 3-point shooting!! Wow-ee!

rainmaker Sat Mar 26, 2005 07:14pm

Okay, so nobody's watching.

WVU shot 75% from 3-point range in regulation, 0% in overtime. Led the whole game, lost by 10 in overtime. Can you say, "Stamina?"

And I agree about Gus Johnson. I didn't hear a single criciticm of a call, although I didn't hear every word. He almost entirely criticised the play, "not a good time to foul", "stupid to foul on that shot." so on. never once questioned the call. Of course, these refs were very, very good.

canuckrefguy Sat Mar 26, 2005 07:21pm

I don't think most people mind commentators criticizing calls, as long as they are informed.

I like Gus Johnson, too - a breath of fresh air compared to the comparatively dull tone of the other announcers. I just thought of something....isn't this the first Gus Johnson game where the underdog hasn't won? Guess the streak had to end sometime...

Go Wildcats!

Mark Padgett Sat Mar 26, 2005 07:38pm

If you listened carefully toward the end of regulation, Johnson had trouble determining the amount of possessions it would take to equal a certain number of points for the trailing team.

Someone get that man a slide rule.

IREFU2 Sat Mar 26, 2005 07:42pm

Another well officiated game!

Nevadaref Sat Mar 26, 2005 07:44pm

A terrible shame that WVA lost. They just didn't play much defense in the second half. What a shooting display though!

There was a comment when Lorenzo Wade was denied entry to the game near the end about him having to sit out a full possession. Otherwise, I thought the commentators were fine.

TriggerMN Sat Mar 26, 2005 08:40pm

What did everyone think about the foul call Tim Higgins made with about 4 minutes to go? Louisville had a backcourt trap, and Higgins called the 5th personal on Francisco Garcia from C. A couple of replays showed that Garcia didn't touch the WVU player. Did I miss something, or did Higgins miss it?

Snake~eyes Sat Mar 26, 2005 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TriggerMN
What did everyone think about the foul call Tim Higgins made with about 4 minutes to go? Louisville had a backcourt trap, and Higgins called the 5th personal on Francisco Garcia from C. A couple of replays showed that Garcia didn't touch the WVU player. Did I miss something, or did Higgins miss it?
Look like an iffy call from the comfort of my couch, like i said I didn't have a good view.

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:09pm

Quote:

The first view from the sideline camers showed Garcia whacking him. The replay from the endline camera had the contact hidden behind the WVa player. I thought it was a good call by Higgins, and a dumb foul by Garcia.

Redneck Ref Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:55pm

During the last few minutes when Louisville was appling presure on the throw in after a made basket did anyone notice as the WVA player was running the endline the Louisville player that was chasing him was out of bounds? If so, in NCAA, should this have been a warning or something?

Nevadaref Sun Mar 27, 2005 01:24am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

The first view from the sideline camers showed Garcia whacking him. The replay from the endline camera had the contact hidden behind the WVa player. I thought it was a good call by Higgins, and a dumb foul by Garcia.

I rewound the tape and watched it a few times. He grabs the WVA player on the forearm and quickly lets go right at the start of the trap.

I thought Higgins had an outstanding game, and I'm not normally a fan of his, so that is about as objective as it gets.
He bailed out his partners twice IMO. His best call was the shove against a Louisville player just before the offensive rebound came to him while he was on the opposite block. Higgins was Lead and the C didn't have it.

Jurassic Referee Sun Mar 27, 2005 06:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I rewound the tape and watched it a few times. He grabs the WVA player on the forearm and quickly lets go right at the start of the trap.

That's what I saw on the play- a quick hold to pin the player for the double-team. It wasn't the smartest move for Garcia to try with 4 fouls imo. You're taking your chances.