The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Patch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19207-ncaa-patch.html)

tjones1 Sat Mar 19, 2005 04:26pm

First noticed the blue smaller patch on the officials shirts on Thursday, just didn't get around to asking until now. How long have they been wearing them? I certainly like the look of the smaller blue patch over the bigger black patch.

ChuckElias Sat Mar 19, 2005 04:42pm

As far as I know, there is no "bigger black patch". The blue patch is what we were given (I was alternate at a D3 game). It was placed directly on the patchless college shirt.

If you notice some of the game sites have the big blue logo at center court. That's just the design that they're using this year. The black and gold is out, as far as I can tell.

Snake~eyes Sat Mar 19, 2005 05:03pm

I have seen officials this year with that black patch, maybe it was an NIT game but I know I've seen them in the last week. I like the blue one better.

ChuckElias Sat Mar 19, 2005 06:58pm

D3 officials were wearing the blue patch before the D1 tournament or the NIT started. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use the blue patch one week and the black one the next. So I'm not sure who would've been wearing them.

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 19, 2005 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
The blue patch is what we were given (I was alternate at a D3 game).
Way to go, Chuck!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the 'big black' patches used last year and before? You watch ESPN Classic, two refs, collars spread, lanyard everywhere, and a huge black NCAA patch.

ChuckElias Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the 'big black' patches used last year and before?
As far as I know, that's correct. It's been black and gold for a while, and I think they're just updating the design.

jbduke Mon Mar 21, 2005 02:46pm

Just checked the DVR and last year's NCAA tournament officials had black patches. Last year's NCAA logo, however, was the blue one. I went to the Atlanta regional last year and remember the center area of the court being plastered with a HUGE, blue version of the NCAA logo.

I'm indifferent on the color of the patches for the officials; I think the diminution of them is a tremendous improvement, though. The old ones were big to the point of being silly.

Congratulations to you, Chuck. I'm guessing you'll be on the floor next year. Great stuff.

jb

Jeremy Hohn Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:32am

Last year they did give us the big black patches and this year the blue...I recently officiated a D3 womens playoff here in Tx and that was the protocol.
I personally like the black better, but they left sticky stuff on the front of my shirt..

ChrisSportsFan Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:35am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[B]
Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
The blue patch is what we were given (I was alternate at a D3 game).
Doesn't the blue patch also help control your desire for nicotine? Or was it for birth control?