The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Watching the 4A Washington State girls and boys state championships on TV tonight. Both games very well officiated. The only thing that seemed strange was a lost shoe situation in the girls game.

Garfield scores and the Garfield player loses her shoe as she shoots. Snohomish inbounds quickly after the hoop and is bringing the ball upcourt fairly quickly. Trail official notices the shoeless Garfield player and stops play with a whistle to let her put her shoe back on.

I would have let the shoeless player play shoeless until the next dead ball or at least until Garfield had possession.

Others?

Z
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Watching the 4A Washington State girls and boys state championships on TV tonight. Both games very well officiated. The only thing that seemed strange was a lost shoe situation in the girls game.

Garfield scores and the Garfield player loses her shoe as she shoots. Snohomish inbounds quickly after the hoop and is bringing the ball upcourt fairly quickly. Trail official notices the shoeless Garfield player and stops play with a whistle to let her put her shoe back on.

I would have let the shoeless player play shoeless until the next dead ball or at least until Garfield had possession.

Others?

Z

I would have dont the same thing as he did. She could slip with her sock, or anything could happen.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 09:08am
Huck Finn

I would let them play until there was a stoppage or her team got the ball. Sure she could slip without her shoe but she could slip with it on too. There are many things that could happen but I'm not going to stop the opposite team from attempting to score for this.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I would not have stopped the game in that situation.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 11:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

If the offense has a obvious scoring opportunity, I may have let it go.

Otherwise, I'm protecting the safety of the player. Tweet.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
z-man
When I saw that I thought to myself. Why, But after some reflection I thought the official made the correct decision.....Snohomich wasn't pushing the ball up court that fast and the Safety of the player is of more concern.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Unless the shoe presents a danger to other players, no way I'm stopping the game.

Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 02:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I would have called a toe truck to get the shoe off the floor - or perhaps I would have just gone up to it and said, "SHOO!".

Damn, where's those meds?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I treat this like I treet a player who is injured but not in any immediate danger.

Allow the offence to complete their play, and then stop the game. I'm not taking away a scoring oppertunity because someone lost a shoe.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
I would have dont the same thing as he did. She could slip with her sock, or anything could happen.
What's to prevent her from kicking it off anytime her team is at an disadvantage?

You don't stop the game because a shoe is off or untied. I've never seen a D1 or NBA official do it, even when the player's team got the ball. You guys are over playing the safety issue.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 05:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by brandan89
What's to prevent her from kicking it off anytime her team is at an disadvantage?

You don't stop the game because a shoe is off or untied. I've never seen a D1 or NBA official do it, even when the player's team got the ball. You guys are over playing the safety issue.
Agree. There is no safety issue. Just keep playing. If the player wants to put it back on, let her go get it and do so. No need to stop the game when her team gets the ball either- it only takes 10 seconds for her to slip it back on.

Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

I would not stop the game for this. No safety issue in my opinion.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I probably wouldn't stop the game either, but I bet a lawyer could make it a safety issue, if you knowingly ignored it, and she slipped, fell, and got hurt..