The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Timeout for Subs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19085-timeout-subs.html)

ref18 Sat Mar 12, 2005 08:02pm

I'm watching the Pac10 championsip, they just scored a three whistles were blowing and the announcer said they called travelling and were taking the basket away. They didn't take the basket away, but the announcer didn't know what was going on.

Was this a timeout for subs?? Because I'm pretty sure the signal is similar to the travelling mechanic.

LSams Sat Mar 12, 2005 08:18pm

You're right.

The mechanic is similar to the traveling signal -- except it's done with your index fingers only, and hold them up above your head.

Another classic example of announcers and rulebooks never being in the same universe.

zebraman Sat Mar 12, 2005 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by LSams
You're right.

The mechanic is similar to the traveling signal -- except it's done with your index fingers only, and hold them up above your head.

Another classic example of announcers and rulebooks never being in the same universe.

Officials mechanics aren't usually in the rule book. For high school they are in the officials manual. I wouldn't expect an announcer to know that since I'm a long-time HS ref and I didn't even know that mechanic.

Z

SamIAm Sat Mar 12, 2005 09:39pm

Please explain "timeout for subs", anybody.

JRutledge Sat Mar 12, 2005 09:55pm

A coach can call a timeout in college basketball just to make subs. If the coach tells you what kind of timeout it is, then when the subs come in the game, you start play immediately. This goes for both genders but the signals are different for Women's basketball and Men's basketball.

Peace

Snake~eyes Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

Originally posted by LSams
You're right.

Officials mechanics aren't usually in the rule book. For high school they are in the officials manual. I wouldn't expect an announcer to know that since I'm a long-time HS ref and I didn't even know that mechanic.

Z

I believe this mechanic is in the back of the NCAA rulebook with the other signals

ocreferee Sun Mar 13, 2005 09:39am

The signals for the timeout for substitution are...

For men, the appropriate time out length to be used and then a travel signal to indicate the teams are not going to their benches.

For women, the appropriate time out length to be used and then a 'mini' travel signal with the index fingers raised above then headto indicate the teams are not going to their benches.

Jurassic Referee Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by Bush in 2004
Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Officials mechanics aren't usually in the rule book. For high school they are in the officials manual.
Z

I don't know if we have the same rule book or not, but can you please explain pgs 76-77 of the NFHS 2004-05 Basketball Rules Book?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but......:confused:

Pgs. 76-77 of the NFHS rule book show "signals", which are a very small part of the mechanics that we use. Mechanics are shown in the manual, as Z said.