The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Just read an article about a high school playoff basketball game that was completed in 58 minutes (no mercy rule).

What is the shortest High School Varsity game you have ever worked?

Link:

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/03...50310046.shtml
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Had a Girl's V game a few years ago started at 7:30pm. We were showered and out the door at 8:35pm.........
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Boys V game, started at 7:35, home team player got his 1000th point in the game, off the floor at 8:30, in the car at 8:45.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 10:58am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Had a girls game that lasted about 48-50 mins once. Think we had 5-6 fouls the entire game.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 11:23am
MABO Member

well if you want to know one where we completed full regulation time it was 47 minutes. 4 fouls in whole game not one free throw required. Well played and disciplined teams.
My shortest game I have ever been involved in was only 2 and a half minutes. I was assigned to a game where the coach was a known complainer. I am well known to not take any crap from these guys. As my partner and I entered the floor area we see this guy and his team dunking during warm ups (thats right the coach was on the floor dunking) well there is his first T. We shot up the free throws and go start play, meanwhile I could tell he was still unhappy because I could hear him grumbling but not any disturbance yet. Two minutes in and one of his guys goes up for a block and full body contact knocks the other player to the floor. I got a personal foul and we will be shooting 2. As I administer the FT he shouts out "thats the way this game is gonna be, a couple of BS refs making BS calls". Enough said "WHACK" theres the door coach and since you dont have anyone else on the bench to take over, game is done, you lose. Visiting team doesn't complain about it. We all pack up our gear and walk out. I wrote a report about it ( its mandatory that the head official write up ejections)and was told I did the right thing. Funny thing is this guy hasn't been coaching anymore either. Last I noticed a parent was on the bench.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

2 game Varsity set in W Georgia (girls then boys).
Start time was 6 PM.....Showered and in my car at 8:43.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

3 quarters
girls varsity contest
team only had 7 players (due to some other circumstances)
one girl got hurt in the second
coach informed me that 2 girls were playing hurt and he did not want to continue playing to avoid any further injury.
Game over after 3 quarters.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally posted by monfanz
home team player got his 1000th point in the game
That must be a record or something. Not many players get 1000 points in a career let alone a game.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2005, 04:50pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

A few weeks ago I reffed in a tournament. I guess a official or two cancelled last minute and I was asked to do some extra games.

Knowing that I had to pace myself, I decided to put my convenor skills to use that day.

Games are 90 minutes apart. Game 1 done in 68-70 minutes. Both teams were there for the 2nd game of the day. I got them to fill out the scoresheet and away we went, 10 mintues later. So now I'm ahead of schedule by 10 minutes.

After four games, I was ahead of schedule 40 minutes. And I had the scoresheets for the rest of the day filled out. Each game started early and the refs that finished early did so by like 30 minutes.

As for a 1-game record, I would say around the 55-minute range. Definitely under an hour.