The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question: BASIC Traveling Violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/18965-question-basic-traveling-violation.html)

bradfordwilkins Mon Mar 07, 2005 01:13am

Had a supervisor give me what I believed to be an incorrect ruling this evening. Wanted to run it by you.

Traveling Violation.

On the way to the basket for a lay-up. While running, A1 picks up the dribble. Foot 1 is lifted and planted. Foot 2 is lifted and planted. Foot 1 is lifted and the ball is released for a shot before Foot 1 returns to the floor.

From my understanding of the rulebook, as soon as Foot 2 hits the ground without releasing the ball, we've got a traveling violation. The supervisor informed me there was a special provision that A1 was allowed to plant that second foot as long as they went up for a shot. I can find no such provision in the rulebook. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Brad

JugglingReferee Mon Mar 07, 2005 01:30am

It reads travelling to me.

I do not believe it is legal to have both feet on the floor, stop dribbling, and then have both feet on the floor again, after each was lifted.

In your sitch, I believe it is travelling when foot 2 hit the floor.

Snake~eyes Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
It reads travelling to me.

I do not believe it is legal to have both feet on the floor, stop dribbling, and then have both feet on the floor again, after each was lifted.

In your sitch, I believe it is travelling when foot 2 hit the floor.

Agreed, foot 2 becomes the pivot when foot 1 is lifted, when foot 2 is lifted and returned to the floor it is travelling.

Adam Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:33pm

When he picked up his dribble, where were his feet?
Both in the air? first foot down is the pivot. as soon as it is lifted and placed back on the floor, travel.
One foot down? That's your pivot. Travel when that foot get lifted and put back down.
Both feet down. The last foot on the floor is your pivot. Travel when that was lifted and put back down.

I'm having a hard time picturing this play, but it sure reads like a travel.

bradfordwilkins Mon Mar 07, 2005 03:25pm

Snaq,

Think just a basic lay-up. Kids today think they are allowed two whole steps. Someone coming down the lane, picks up the ball and takes two steps and then goes up for the lay-up. That help at all?

bob jenkins Mon Mar 07, 2005 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bradfordwilkins
Snaq,

Think just a basic lay-up. Kids today think they are allowed two whole steps. Someone coming down the lane, picks up the ball and takes two steps and then goes up for the lay-up. That help at all?

No, it doesn't help at all because the rule book doesn't define travelling in terms of "two whole steps" (or anything similar).

Adam Mon Mar 07, 2005 06:34pm

The rule is based on the pivot foot. On a layup, there are basically two possibilities.

1. player picks up dribble with both feet in the air (most common). In this situation, the player likely picks it up just after lifting his foot. His pivot foot will be the first one to touch down. Now, he's got his pivot foot down and one foot in the air. He will then take one more step as he puts the 2nd foot down and lifts the pivot foot. This will look like the 2nd step that everyone thinks you get.
2. Player picks up dribble with one foot still on the floor. That foot is his pivot foot. Once he lifts it, he cannot put it back onto the floor before passing or shooting.
The difference between these situations is subtle, but important, as it is the difference between the player getting another step or not for a layup.

Remember, it's all about the pivot foot here.